‘54 G80CS Engine Removal

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Iron Head

‘54 G80CS Engine Removal

Post by Iron Head »

Sorry if this has been asked many times before but what is the optimal way to remove the engine on my G80CS? The head, barrel and piston are off. Can I slacken the gearbox bolts, remove the engine bolts and dynamo strap/pivot and splay the engine plates and wiggle the engine out or do I need to remove said engine plates and gearbox? Trying to avoid removing the centre stand/spring fixing if possible.

Thanks in advance

Iron Head
clive

Re: ‘54 G80CS Engine Removal

Post by clive »

You certainly do not need to remove the gearbox. I think you should be able to wiggle the crankcase out as you describe but its years since I last did it. When you take out the front stud that joins the front and rear frame there is a tendency for the frame to spread. When you put the engine back in you may need to lift the engine after all the other studs and bolts have been fitted or use a ratchet strap to get the frame to line up, otherwise its simples!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Iron Head

Re: ‘54 G80CS Engine Removal

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Clive, that's reassuring. I will hopefully free said crankcase tonight! Glad now that I have been forced to do the strip down, discovered that the drive sprocket has six of its sixteen teeth damaged/missing!

Changing topic is there anything more to the inner chaincase sliding seal other than a strip of steel or should it have some cork backing and/or a felt seal behind it?

Iron Head