Full Size Hub in Rigid Frame

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
doggone1

Full Size Hub in Rigid Frame

Post by doggone1 »

Hi all I want to convert my G80s to a rigid I intend to keep my original frame and use a spare with a rigid rear which I think is 49 7 3/4 inches between rear axle I wondered if it was possible to fit my rear hub to this the spindle is bigger than rigid frame and swinging arm is about 8 3/4 between axle could you use a different spindle and adjust spacers or would I need a 55 rigid rear end were these wider?
clive

Re: Full Size Hub in Rigid Frame

Post by clive »

I am pretty sure the full width wheel cannot be adapted to fit the earlier rigid frame because the arrangements for securing the speedo drivebox are different, however you may be able to overcome this problem. Not sure about the 55 rigid rear frame but the sales brochure for that year suggest a full width hub was fitted. However I suspect that few rigids were sold that year and you may struggle to find the correct rigid rear loop. If you change the frame, I assume you are intending to keep the front loop in order to retain the frame number and hence registration number.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
doggone1

Post by doggone1 »

Thanks for the info I wonder what the with of the 55 rear end was I did want to try and use my running gear so may fabricate a rear to suitcif I cant find a late one
matg80s

Post by matg80s »

Last edited by matg80s on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

This bike has the 50 on rear frame which takes the later heavier spindle. If you worked on spreading the 49 frame and increasing the size of the slot, with some reinforcing weld you might get away with it. The question is why? If it is for off road use that hub will soon be full of mud as i suspect the bearing lock has been machined down so the cover cannot be fitted.
clive
matg80s

Post by matg80s »

Last edited by matg80s on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

did you heat the frame when spreading it? I like the look of the stand. I take it is a separate item like a paddock stand.
clive
doggone1

Post by doggone1 »

Well Ive given this some more thought and have decided to make a new rigid rear end rather than butcher a nice one Im building a flat tracker for fun cant say its going to get that muddy I wanted to use a full size hub as that was what I have available.
Ive built the frame jig and set the bottom rails need to get some smaller tube for the down tubes I will get it tacked up and align it up on the bench and then I will be able to see what i need to do with rear wheel alignment should be easy enough to make some new spacers or adjust the frame to suit.
Ive got a fibre glass sammy miller competition tank but was thinking of using this as a template to make an ally one not sure how fibre glass will stand up to modern fuel.
Also got an old set of crank case that have corroded so I need to weld these up and intend to adapt them to take a later cs ally barrel.