18s 1955 Battery carrier

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Harold2110

18s 1955 Battery carrier

Post by Harold2110 »

It bolts on here.jpg
old battery box 1.jpg
Greetings all,

The basket case is back together enough now to find all the small bits that I don't have and identify some that I do have that don't belong.
Case in point is the battery box pictured that is clearly not for a 1955 18S.
Can any one please supply a picture of the correct battery carrier showing some dimensions/location of the recessed mounts that connect to the frame?
With a picture or two I should be able to make one up using the one I have as a guide.

Best wishes to all for Christmas and New Year, and commiserations to all in lockdown, stay safe and well.

Regards Harold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: 18s 1955 Battery carrier

Post by clive »

The 55 I have is back of the garage which is 11/2 miles away, no power and no light to take a photo, so description is the best you will get from me. The back of the carrier has a rectangular tube attached with a hole for each of the studs. The tube is deep enough so neither the nut or stud project into the battery side. On the battery side there is a hole for each nut which is large enough to allow a small drive socket to be used to tighten them up. I imagine when designed it was for use with a box spanner but socket for my smaller 5/16(?) drive set fits nicely.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

Clive,

Thanks for that, since posting I did the sensible thing and checked the forums to discover lots of pictures. How often do you see posts with check the forum before asking the question.
What I hope someone can tell me is the measurements to locate the holes and from there I can get the position of the holder correct.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Harold
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Just as a point of interest, the studs that go through the frame and secure the battery carrier are an integral part of the oil tank, not separate bolts or studs.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

Thanks for that Pharisee, yep I have the studs and tank its just the battery holder I have to sort out.

Regards Harold
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

AMC Classic Spares sell them. £35.00.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pharisee wrote:Just as a point of interest, the studs that go through the frame and secure the battery carrier are an integral part of the oil tank, not separate bolts or studs.
There is in fact two studs that screw into the oil tank ( see parts list ) These studs pass through the frame securing the battery carrier with nuts.
If you ever need to remove the battery carrier, you may find the nut will come off, or the stud unscrew from the oil tank.
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

Thanks Dave and Rob,

It looks like I will be making the modifications to the existing over the Christmas break.
It will be a lot quicker than waiting for freight from England.

Regards Harold :D :D
Harold2110

Post by Harold2110 »

WELL,
No it wasn't quicker to re-fashion the old one battery holder, as it turns out it is much more expedient to buy new from Steve at AMC classic spares, its now in undercoat waiting for the next painting day.
lots to do yet..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

That's looking promising
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix