G80 front sprocket

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
crawsue

G80 front sprocket

Post by crawsue »

Just to confirm ,my machine has 19in. wheels. CR
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

G80 front sprocket

Post by itma »

If you did a lot of say, motorway running, this higher gear would save you some stress on the motor possibly at cost of top speed,[ but who does that anyway on these bikes?]downside is that around lanes, towns etc you will feel a need to run in a lower gear, than you normally would. This can take some getting used to.
The difference would be more marked on a 350. A higher geared 500 on a long run on A roads can be quite pleasent, used to be described as giving the bike longer legs, but on hilly back roads it can be a nuisance changing down when the std gearing would have got you up the hill.
Its worth the experiment to see if it suits you, if you think its worth the time and expense.
Arm yourself with ample chain links first.
Conversly on some bikes it may give an increase in top speed but it`ll take a fortnight to get to it
crawsue

G80 front sprocket

Post by crawsue »

Thanks,Ken, I'm tending towards the standard 22tooth one now.It will be rarely used on anything other than minor A & B roads where a little extra "grunt" in top will come in more usefull,economy is not the issue (fuel wise at any rate!)it is more an exercise about how the engine "feels"while pootling around within a safe(ish)!! breaking distance.I wanted to hear what the general thinking was before going to the bother of pulling it all apart then finding out that "everybody" now ran 23 teeth! BTW,my old pal (80 next birthday &still riding)tells of an apocryphal story about the Norton move to Plumstead.A large quantity of machined cranckase castings had failed inspection,and when the lathe operater (turner?) was questioned regarding the huge losses he responded that when he reported to his rehoused (from the Norton factory) lathe his stout wooden "plank" with which he had been "true-ing-up" his machine for years, had not been brought with it!!Youve got to laugh. I was involved at UCS (Upper Clyde Shipbuilders) for a while prior to the "sit in".Never have so many malingerers reported for work ( and handouts)as when the sit-in started.2 of the vessels being built at Govan and 1 at John Browns were over 6 months behind schedule ,when the strike was called
TommoT

G80 front sprocket

Post by TommoT »

...you might take into consideration that changing the gearbox sprocket also involves taking off the inner chaincase half and clutch, whereas the engine sprocket can be accessed after simply removing the outer half! Worth thinking about, if you have to a bit of swapping back and forth!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
crawsue

G80 front sprocket

Post by crawsue »

Thanks Tom,I will be going down the simplest path and replacing the engine sprocket.I will post the result if and when it ever stops raining! (7 weeks---4 dry days--12 inches of rain in November(Glasgow)and "monsoon" for the last 48 hrs) I blame the Polar bears!