Factory Matchless G80 57 Scrambler

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Factory Matchless G80 57 Scrambler

Post by Pharisee »

thumpercrossracer wrote:......Don't worry I am not going to bling it up, quite the opposite apart from replacing parts like cable's etc I intend to leave as is. Will post some pics soon
I bought a '56 G80CS just over a year ago. It had been imported from California and had been standing in the previous owners private collection for quite a while. I changed out all the control cables and put new tyres on. The gearbox gaskets were broken and the inner cover was loose, so oil ran out as fast as I poured it in. I fixed that and also changed the final drive oil seal while I was at it. I had to replace the clutch plates as the friction inserts had shrunk over the time it had been standing and well all loose. The seat had suffered in the Californian sun and the vinyl cover had cracked and split so that was reconditioned by Lathams. Oh yes, the speedometer didn't work so that was sorted by Russell at Chronometric Instrument Services. I put new chains on and raised the gearing somewhat to make it more suitable for road use.... I'm not going to compete in any trials. Other than all that, she's pretty much original and will stay that way. She starts and runs beautifully, and I love riding it... when I'm allowed!!

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.