Front wheel and brake assembly - 1953

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Jansen

Front wheel and brake assembly - 1953

Post by Jansen »

good evening,

I recently purchased a bargain G80S from a neighbouring farm which is kind of a mix of parts of different years and bolted together with whatever was lying around at the farm. Apparently most of the frame parts are 52/53 (pre-full hub, cast swing arm bearing section). In order to rebuild the front wheel and brake assembly I need a drawing which shows the correct parts and how they fit together (on my bike its just a wild mix of washers and bushes). Also, I try to find a drawing of the swing arm bearing assembly. I searched the web but unfortunately all the manuals I found do not show these details... can somebody help? Thanx, Jansen
SPRIDDLER

Re: Front wheel and brake assembly - 1953

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club and Forums, Jansen.
That sound like a great project.
You say you've searched the web but did that include the really comprehensive website called 'Christians Archive'?
In the link below under 'Books' you will find the original Owners Manual, Workshop Manual and Spares List(s) for your bike.
If you look under 'Technical' you will find much information on specific subjects.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

As your bike is a mix of years you can look at the Spares Lists for other years to help identify what year are the parts that you have.

Don't hesitate to come back for more help as I don't think there's a question that hasn't been asked and answered.

You can also access this website's 'Technical Articles' and Forum topics by using the buttons top right of this page.
Search icon.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
uas526

Post by uas526 »

Indeed, that's the reference I used to rebuild one. Luckily I found an original copy on Ebay, it even had the genuine greasy fingerprints :D .
Jansen

Post by Jansen »

dear Spriddler, thanks for the quick reply. In the link you sent me I actually found a drawing of the front wheel assembly which matches the configuration I have on my bike. Now I have to dig further to find a drawing of the swing arm assembly.

Thanks!

Jansen
martinbuilt AJS

Post by martinbuilt AJS »

I just rebushed my swingarm. Trickiest part is removing that odd spoke that holds the covers on.
I soaked the end with the slot for a few minutes, then used a battery impact to get it loose. The whole thing wants to spin, so you can press your finger on the opposite end to add drag.
Eventually, inertia will save the day.
Once the two circular covers are off, the pin needs to be pressed out. There are two felt washers and two bronze flange bushings that will come away with the swingarm.
Jansen

Post by Jansen »

hi Martinbuilt AJS

is there a drawing somewhere of the swing arm/bearing design? Unfortunately I could not find any. This would be a great help to restore my bike to the way it should be.

Right now, the swing arm on my bike is just hold in place by means of a long threaded rod. No bearings, no nothing.

thanks

Jan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Look in the archives Spriddler directed you to and download the parts list for you model / year. It is illustrated and although not perfect gives a lot of clues about how things fit together, for example, the parts that look like cotter pins BUT ARE NOT traditional cotter pins that should be used with your s/arm.

Johnny B
martinbuilt AJS

Post by martinbuilt AJS »

Jan,
This video will show you most of what you need to know.
The difference being, he's working on a newer bike, yours (and mine) do not have the pinch-bolt/cotter pins. The pivot is just pressed into the cast bridge. I warmed that casting with a torch before pressing the pin out. If yours is apart already, so no need to do that.
I couldn't find a useful diagram.
You need a pivot pin, 2 oilite bushings, 2 felt washers.
If they're also missing, you'll need a pair of round covers, gaskets for them, and the straight spoke/nipple that holds them in place.
If you need part #'s let me know, i'll dig them up.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Apologies, I missed the year!

Johnny B
Jansen

Post by Jansen »

hi Martin,

yes, I found a lot of information on the later frames (like in the video) but apparently there is not so much info on the older models.

If I understand you correctly, the design on our older bikes is the same as shown in the video except the cotter pins.

That helps a lot.

Thanks!

Jan