Rigid Frames

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
OLDNMATCHLESS

Rigid Frames

Post by OLDNMATCHLESS »

Hello All:

I am on a steep learning curve on rigid frames. Hopefully, those more knowledgeable can steer me straight.

I have acquired a number of rigid frames (discouragingly hard here in the USA) and about the time I know what I have acquired, I am finding out that I was miss-informed (or just not knowledgeable enough!)

I have attached a couple pictures of a frame a friend has (and which I have the identical frame). A first I thought it to be a 1949 due to the placement of the sidestand lug. However, the saddle mounts in 1948 should be vertical (maybe?) not horizontal in 1948. My very first thought was that it was a 1950 based on the casting of the rear fork with threaded inserts for sidecar. I was my understanding that these did not appear until 1950?

Of course, the thought occurred that maybe someone had done some "metalwork" to make the frame as it is. This premise went out the window when I acquired another frame that is EXACTLY the same as this one.

Interestingly, the front frame section for both our frames are identical also, The tank mounts are straight out (not "v'ed" like my '49) like were used in 1950 and up.

Can someone take me to school and educate me?

Thanks!
Rigid Frame 1.jpg
Rigid Frame 2.jpg
Rigid frame 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iron Head

Re: Rigid Frames

Post by Iron Head »

Hi Rick. I'm not sure how much help I can offer here but my ‘48 rigid is pretty much all original and also came from the US. Mine has sidecar lugs/mounts and the swept back front petrol tank mount but I am pretty sure your (single) seat spring receiving ‘pillars' should, as you say, be vertical. They are internally threaded if memory serves me correctly.

Iron Head
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Looks like a wartime 1940 G3/WO frame to me but you need to get it checked by the Dating Officer to be sure.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

the rear loop loop looks like WD, they had the bolt through seat spring.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The horizontal saddle spring mountings we used up to 1947, I think that if it has sidecar mounts by the axle it is post war.
Stuart Jenkins

Post by Stuart Jenkins »

Hi there,
My frame is a WD for a 1942 contract has the same saddle mounts, but the regulator unit mounts come off the upper rear mudguard cross bar, not the frame rails, and no sidecar mounting points, so as Duncan says maybe slightly later year
Stuart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g3l 1941
BMW r80G/S '82
Yamaha FZ750 '90(Project)