G80 1955

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Vincent Golding.

G80 1955

Post by Vincent Golding. »

I'm considering buying a 1955 G80 and would appreciate any top tips on what to look out for. Thanks.
AJSBSA

G80 1955

Post by AJSBSA »

I have 1955 18s and use it daily, I would suggest you check the following
Good Tinware, good spark, healthy dynamo and good compression (stand on the kick start it should support your weight for at least 10 seconds mine does and I am 21 stone)
Every thing else is fun and relatively cheap to fix!

Vincent Golding.

G80 1955

Post by Vincent Golding. »

Thanks for the tips. It seemed OK, but the seller couldn't get it to start, so I'm still looking!
petethecheap

G80 1955

Post by petethecheap »

Hi Vince,

Knock the price down 200 quid, and buy it anyway - unless you have a
wide variety from which to choose. As steve said, all the mechanical work is easy - just make sure all the sheet metal is there. You may have to have the mag rebuilt - does it spark when kicked over? Pull the plug, lay it on the barrel, and check it out.

If the bike's been sitting, the problem may be fuel. If it smells like varnish, it probably is. Take a sniff when you pull the plug. No smell at all? Fuel flow problem. 200GBP will get you a rebuilt mag, or new Monobloc, or new piston if the compression is low.

Why bother? Simply, the '55 G80 or G80s is one of the classiest, best-looking bikes ever. I built mine from bits (there's only 6 or 7 complete in the US), and riding friends refer to it as "the old gentleman."

I hope you buy it, fix it, and use it as it was intended. It will bring you miles of pleasure.