Harris G80 forks/front mudguard

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

I'm in the process of restoring a 87 Harris G80 (mileage 18000 but I suspect it's done many more) and have just found that the rear front mudguard lugs have sheared off. This is only noticeable when trying to remove the front mudguard. The front mudguard itelf has the usual split at the front and one also at the bottom. As it is a single disc model and there is no fork stay as part of the mudguard, is the flexing on braking the cause of the mudguard splits and in my case the lugs shearing?
Has anyone else come across sheared lugs?
Does the mudguard split on two disc models?
Could this also indicate that the fork bushes need replacement?
Does the Commando replacement noted on the technical page have a built-in fork stay?
Anyone any thoughts or experience with this?
bjork

Post by bjork »

I don't have any personal experience of the Harris bikes,but,looking in the spares adverts I see a fellow called Preston.0115 9784501-daytime calls only.He regularly advertises spares for these models and I'd bet he has what you need and possibly the info to stop it happening again.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Thanks for the suggestion, I've had a few bits off of him already but unfortunately the front mudguard and forks have gone. Apparently the Italian manufacturer of the mudguards has gone out of business and LF Harris have no more, so I'll probably either try and find a Commando one or repair the one I have.