touring with a 1954 18S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Biscuit
Deceased

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by Biscuit »

Richard - Being the eternal pessimist, and advising you to gain experience on the bike in my initial posting DOES not mean I would like to see you fall flat on your face, I wish you every success. Reading some of the French Letters (chuckle) I seem to detect bikes that are not as well prepared as they might have been, Hylomar around a carburettor? weeping push rod tubes a good sign?, and I flatly refuse to believe bits fall off a well maintained machine, but then my rides are only. 100-150 miles around Southern England.

alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

I'm only kidding with you, Alan, I appreciate all your help, and pessimist or not, you make the forum alot of fun.
silverarrow

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by silverarrow »

Richard, I can say that when i did a 2000 mile trip round europe two + camping gear etc. NOTHING fell off, came loose or calapsed. Most owners do 2000 miles in a year without mishap or much attention so why should doing it all in a fortnight be so different? Take it easy and you, your bike and your butt will have a good time.

On insurance i can confirm just how good Footman James are for insurance. I have insured with them for about 5 years now and currently have a fully comprehensive policy covering my 4 bikes (includes a £7000 vintage bike and a 1000cc BMW) including break down cover home and abroad fo only just over £100 pa. If you want a quote call 0121 561 6222 tell them you want a classic motorcycle policy and that you are an AJS&MOC or VMCC member. Les Smith
Keep smiling
alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

Thanks Les. I've already taken the FJ insurance; I assume the low premiums and inclusion of breakdown cover is simply a reflection of the low risk that they consider us to be!
Janet

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by Janet »

So now we know that if we want humorous answers we pose a question in General but if we want serious ones it's to be in Help. Have you noticed how the replies come from the same people?

I'm back to General because I know nothing.
alpraphoto

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by alpraphoto »

That's exactly what I figured out, Janet(with a little help from you). General is for shakespeare-quoting, Help is for the boring old bike stuff. Officially speaking, this message is breaking the etiquette.
silverarrow

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by silverarrow »

Yes FJ initially dealt only with the VMCC with generally older, slower, lower mileages than even us lot and got a good track record. mind you now Z1300, CBX et al become VMCC elegible it might change? My BMW R100RT is a 1979 model and soon greeted into the VMCC fold by the 25 year rule.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
autosprink

touring with a 1954 18S

Post by autosprink »

Dont know anything about touring in France but last year I did 1200 miles around Tasmania with a 54 18S - no problems at all except for the front brake plate coming loose. My own fault. John Powell NZ