G80 frame coating

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
gleng80

G80 frame coating

Post by gleng80 »

I am soon to paint the frame and tank of my Harris G80. I have thought about brush painting with either cellulose or twin pack epoxy or taking it to a local powder-coaters in Leicester.
The current coating appears to be a sort of plastic which, where the rust hasn't found its way underneath, seems to effectively resist removal with a heat gun, blow lamp, paint stripper and a wire brush, so it could take a while to remove. I'm also slightly concerned that sand or bead blasting could end up with material in the oil tank (Harris G80's have oil in the frame) and end up wrecking what will be a refurbished engine.
Has anyone any thoughts/experiences (good or bad) or recommendations as to any of the methods above? I've heard that powder coating is not all it's cracked up to be and excellent finishes can be achieved by brush with twin pack.
(Please don't suggest selling it and buying a proper G80 as I've already got one of them).

silverarrow

G80 frame coating

Post by silverarrow »

Glen,

Powder coating I have found is very good and usefull for doing small parts like brake levers, carriers etc and even cylinder barrels. Frames too are generally a good bet but you are right to be careful where oil is concerned. I do not see however that the frame could not be satisfactorily sealed up for shot blasting and/or adequate cleaning of the oil areas. Powder coating is also good at covering up imperfections such as pitting and can be overcoated. a badly rusted timing cover on my machine is almost faultless after three coats.

Tanks can also be powder painted though I feel a better finish can be made by other methods. P C ing can of course be sanded and refinished to attain a super finish.

The people I use in Leicester are KMH (or similar initials) on the industrial estate by the tip in Whetstone. If you would to see the finish first hand why not call on me I am in Kilby. I will email you separately my telephone number.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
gleng80

G80 frame coating

Post by gleng80 »

Many thanks for the comments Les, I'd appreciate taking a look at the finish at some time and I'll also look out KMH.

What will be the best way to seal up the oil inlet/outlet pipes?
There are also the swinging arm bushes, headstock and a few female threads that will need protection. Are there recognised ways of doing this?

And what about the tank? Twin pack? or cellulose with a final clear coat?
Has anyone anything good to say about brush finishing? Is it even worth thinking about?

Colin F

G80 frame coating

Post by Colin F »

Most reputable powder coaters will mask all necessary threads abd bearing surfaces before starting the coating, They have a range of plastic bungs to fit the threads that will stand up to the tempratures that are used in the ovens to bake the powder.
I have found the finish, quality and durability, to be worth putting tin ware into be proffessionaly sprayed well worth the cost.
I use a small firm just outside Cambridge with excellent results, the fact the owner has had classic bikes means he is symathetic to the needs of a restoration.
silverarrow

G80 frame coating

Post by silverarrow »

I have found that masking tape will protect studs etc both for shot blasting and 'cooking'. I use through bolts and washers where feasible. Female threads can have an old bolt stuck in.

Hand painting is OK but it is very time consuming and you need the best of paint and brushes and conditions. I have had good success with Smooth Hammerite in a spray can. this has the advantage that it can be applied directly to clean metal. I have been known to spray a newly drilled and filed bracket and be riding the bike all within 20 minutes, albeit with black smudges on my fingers! A good body shop should be able to do a good job for you in celluose.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling