1958 Matchless G9 Deluxe 500cc Twin

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin

1958 Matchless G9 Deluxe 500cc Twin

Postby helloluketurner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:55 am

I don't think this is the done thing on this forum but I fancied creating a 'build thread' to document on my progress.

She's my first 'proper' classic motorbike.. I've not even been riding for a year yet! I'm a young'un, 25 to be exact!

I had a 1977 Honda CB550F2 SuperSport prior to this but it just wasn't doing it for me, it was good fun but lacked any character & personality, so I got rid.

My old mans got a few British classics, a 1974 Norton Commando 850 & a 1956 Norton Model 50. I've always gravitated to the old British motorbikes at shows & races, they put the biggest grin on my face! So I thought I'd give it a go..

IMG_0040_EDIT_V2_500px.jpg

I had my first ride on Saturday as part of a 100 strong 'ride out' for a local hospice, so I was properly thrown in at the deep end. No indicators, no wing mirrors, right foot gear change etc.. I adjusted very quickly & it was an absolute blast! I even managed to signal with my arms on the approach to junctions & such! Wahey! She didn't miss a beat on the 60 mile ride.

There are however a few niggles that I want to address here & there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Committee

Re: 1958 Matchless G9 Deluxe 500cc Twin

Postby Rob Harknett » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Welcome Luke, nice bike. As this is your first real classic bike, perhaps some of the niggles are really only what can be expected from an old bike.
RH foot change suits the side of the road we drive on. e.g. if you stop at lights, you have your left foot on the ground, you are then leaning to the nearside of the road. Your right ready to hit the gear lever and move off. The bike was built when motor cyclists used hand signals. A rear view has always been an acceptable extra. I once had my right foot down at a junction, something came by and took my leg away, I ended up under the bike. Would not had happened if I had my left leg down. The same happened to my son on the pillion one day, his right leg was hit, and injured.

Postby helloluketurner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:39 pm

The niggles aren't anything major.. a blown headlamp bulb, a threaded petrol tank securing bolt & the seat isn't original! Aside from that she just needs a rag & a toothbrush in all of the gaps to clean off a fair few years of oil & road crud. I'll also give her a service, fresh oil, oil filter etc.

Are the centre stands notoriously difficult on these machines?! I struggle to get her up but even more to get her down!

Shouldn't our right foot be planted on the ground whilst stopped? As our left foot should be on the rear brake? That's what I was taught anyway.. but like driving lessons, most of it goes out the window once you pass!

A previous owner has cut the end of the RH handlebar grip as there must've been a mirror there at some stage, so I'll be fitting one myself.

Committee

Postby Rob Harknett » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 pm

You were probably taught to ride recently. We never had bike riding taught years ago. But there were driving schools for cars. The front brake can be used to hold the bike on a hill leaving both feet free. If you use the rear brake on the right of a modern bike, your left to support the bike, at some time you have to use your left to put the bike in gear to move off. I guess we all get bad habits. I used to hold my car using the clutch a lot, until I got fed up with replacing clutches on them. It is only natural to find something about a new bike you do not like. So do what you must. are be happy and enjoy. You will get the knack of getting the bike on and off the stand. The seat is a later type, maybe advertise it as a swap.

Postby MikeM. » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Rob there were RAC/ACU Training Schemes back in the mid fifties run by local motor cycle clubs that provided a 12 week course and a test covering four parts all for 36 shillings (you do remember £sd don't you?). Luke the way to put your bike on the centre stand is to place you left foot behind the stand with your right hand on the lifting handle on the rear mudguard and left hand under the front of the seat, turn the handle bars slightly to the left and lift and pull back at the same time. There iOS a knack in doing it but if I can put my Model 31 on it's centre stand being only 5' 6" and an 80 year old I am sure you can do it too.

Committee

Postby Rob Harknett » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:29 pm

MikeM. wrote:Rob there were RAC/ACU Training Schemes back in the mid fifties run by local motor cycle clubs that provided a 12 week course and a test covering four parts all for 36 shillings (you do remember £sd don't you?). Luke the way to put your bike on the centre stand is to place you left foot behind the stand with your right hand on the lifting handle on the rear mudguard and left hand under the front of the seat, turn the handle bars slightly to the left and lift and pull back at the same time. There iOS a knack in doing it but if I can put my Model 31 on it's centre stand being only 5' 6" and an 80 year old I am sure you can do it too.

I was not aware of motor cycle lessons or clubs at the time Mike. I got a bike, put in for my test so I could carry my girl friend, passed first time. All happened quite quick. It was mid 50's 1956. As I passed OK I guess I had no reason to seek tuition. My life was an 8 full day a week job, visit girl friend or coffee bars at night. No time for anything else. In 1958 I was 18 so I drove future father in laws car to learn to drive a car it was a wreck. Failed my first car test by making a mistake, stopped when told on a hill, by a no waiting sign. I did not bother after that. Examiner said , why did you not bother when you made that error, I would not had failed you just for that. I said you told me to stop and caught me out. I never bothered taking another car test till 1988 and passed OK.

Postby helloluketurner » Sun May 08, 2016 4:16 pm

I took that on my fourth ride out now & I've totally fallen head over heels!

Here's a quick 15 second video of her on the road, I've been experimenting with a new external microphone on my GoPro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGg1ToCRQSI

I got back home after that ride to find one of my oil tank shield screws had totally disappeared! & the remaining screw was half out, so I wasn't far off having the oil tank shield bounce down the road behind me! There's no way I'll find the lost screw, which is a huge shame, so once I've bought a replacement I'll put a dab of loctite on each screw thread.

Postby Expat » Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 am

Hi Luke, yes a nice looking bike and good video, unusual to see here but very welcome. I have a modern bike too but love the contrasts, quirkiness and challenges the Matchy gives me. Only had it six months or so and it certainly attracts attention as well as being enjoyable to own and ride.
Your bike certainly seems pretty lively, unlike my old plonker :lol: :lol: :lol: though obviously a different animal.

Btw I have found the same screws tend to loosen on mine. Guess they all need checking regularly.

Congratulations on your purchase, glad you are enjoying it so much.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

Postby helloluketurner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:21 am

I haven't been active on this forum or updated this thread for a tad over a year! Apologies.

It's been a mad past few months; I ran my first marathon & bought my first house with my girlfriend, IT HAS A GARAGE!

The garage was initially used for storage during the move but as the house took shape, it gradually emptied, which meant I could bring my motorbike & workbench over.

So, I headed home on Saturday & then rode my Matchless alongside my old man on his Triumph to Warwick. 60 trouble-free sunny miles.

However.. I pulled up outside the new house & noticed quite a severe leak, the welding around the front petrol tank mount has fractured, it's a tiny hairline crack but enough to cause a constant stream of petrol.

I then scrambled to the nearest Halfrauds for a funnel & some petrol canisters so I could drain the tank to have a proper look.

Iffy ^

Solid ^

I need to find a welder..

Postby bitza » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Dent doctor based in walsall did my G9 tank and paint job
Good tidy tank repair etc not the cheapest.

Next

Return to G9 / AJS Model 20