Improved chaincase seals

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
sunalp2

Re: Improved chaincase seals

Post by sunalp2 »

I have just had my modified primary chain case seal delivered. Is there a particular way it needs to be fitted?

I notice that there is a small lip and a large lip. My thoughts are the large lip inwards, and the small outwards.

Also, as it is not a band, is it a good idea to join the seal together with contact adhesive? (join would be best at the top I imagine).

Thanks in advance.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Club spares chain case sealing rubber.
The seal does need to be cut to length. Do not pull it tight. Just fit the outer case very loosely and then place the seal into position. It will then be obvious how much to trim off the end to get the correct length. Note the two mating ends should be cut square and cleanly. Now bond the two ends together. I find that superglue works fine. Also it is a good idea to have the joint at the top of the case, aligned with the gearbox top bolt would be fine. Also I find that a nice long screw on the chain case band helps as the rubber seal is slightly thicker and a longer screw makes fitting the aluminium band easier.

I would recommend these seals to anybody wanting an oil tight chain case. They work really well.
sunalp2

Post by sunalp2 »

Excellent. Thank you.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I often wonder why everyone gets so excited about new improved seals for tin chain cases
if you clean off the mating surfaces and use modern flange sealant on the join and then the inside of the rubber band the original will hold oil
fitted my original seal a few weeks ago with flange sealant and not a drop of oil leaking (yet )

Its the same seal that I had in the early 80's when the bike was first restored
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:I often wonder why everyone gets so excited about new improved seals for tin chain cases
if you clean off the mating surfaces and use modern flange sealant on the join and then the inside of the rubber band the original will hold oil
fitted my original seal a few weeks ago with flange sealant and not a drop of oil leaking (yet )

Its the same seal that I had in the early 80's when the bike was first restored
The beauty is Peter, when you have to remove it for repairs you don't have to bugger about cleaning off sealant. They are also very good at taking up slight defects on the cases faces. Got 4 of them and not one leaks.