Boyer Bransden conversion ?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
beerboy

Post by beerboy »

i have just bought a 1957 Model 20, and am looking forward to riding her in the summer.

unfortunately the magneto has just packed up, there is a faint chance changing the bushes housings will cure it, but i am not too hopeful.

one option that has been suggested is switching to a boyer bransden ignition system. i would be grateful for any thoughts or advice on wether to switch over, or to have the magneto revamped.

thanks

bjork

Post by bjork »

Did you have a look at the replies to your original post yet?Have you already got 12volts and a powerful dynamo?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
beerboy

Post by beerboy »

Thanks Steve for the info [ Lawrence suggested duplicating the topic here for wider audience ].

The bike still has the original 6V circuits, and i believe an average dynamo.

Looking at the BT-H site I see that they will be at the Stafford show next weekend. I will ensure that i have a chat with them.

i intend to keep this bike as it matches my date of birth [ sad reason but what the heck ]. The obvious concern will be the cost of the thing £550+ seems very expensive.

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Martin
The BTH new magneto is fantastic but CMES will overhaul your old one and make it better than it probably was when it left the factory for about £240. I have heard nothing but good about CMES and would rather keep the £300 in my pocket ;o)

Lawrence [}:)]
bjork

Post by bjork »

Lawrence, you're right about the £300 change being a strong lure! I took a lot of convincing myself. I too have heard only good reports about CMES, and agree that a recon from any rewinder using modern gloop to seal the gubbins in is likely to be better than original. I still think with the benefit of having tried these mags out that the complete absence of any further tinkering with brushes(you know when that ford turns out to be deeper than you expected-or the excess oil in the timing chest after a bout of wet sumping gets forced past the mag drive seal, tch! hours of roadside delight[:() and if you do have to retime it for any reason its just a matter of locking the mag shaft in the firing position with the tool supplied(bit of stainless rod!)and fitting the drive pinion. I don't like chucking my money about,Fred will confirm that, but if I believe I'll get more riding miles and less time with the tool kit out then I reckon I'm getting good value[:)] I still surprised myself by ordering a second one for myself though[:0] I fancy entering the national rally this year and the fit and forget electronic ignition and regulator go a long way to making the mileage at night seem less of a challenge. Talking of which,anyone else doing the national? we are looking for a third rider to make up a team[?]
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

I will suppoort the CMES case as my experience is of a fantastic job well done and as was said "Better than Lucas". Some would say that is not hard!

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling
bjork

Post by bjork »

Ok, just to prove I'm not totally biased against luddite technology and fixing the original mags. I wish to recommend DH Day of Wroughton down Swindon way. They came highly recommended to me and they did a top job.Still needs servicing though[}:)]
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

I'm not knocking the BB solution in fact i have done this conversion on my BMW. Nothing but praise in that application

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling