piston rings

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
maribar

piston rings

Post by maribar »

I need to change the rings of my G9/1953 in order to improve the compression, but I did'nt found anything here (in Italy) and also in the our spares catalogue. In fact I found in the catalogue only some rings, but only for 500cc twin 56/61.
THE QUESTION: is it possible to fit these rings on a piston of 66 mm. bore? or something has changed in 1956?
Otherwise where can I find these rings?
Thanks to everybody for the answer!

RogerNorman

piston rings

Post by RogerNorman »

A quick call with Jim will confirm (when he comes back from Holiday) but I am certain the rings we stock are 'metric' sizes for the current stock of pistons and not imperial sizes. As a result the new rings do not fit into the grooves of old original pistons. There used to be a small quantity of 'new old stock' rings in stock but whether we still have these - again Jim will tell you. Alternatively you will have to source through an autojumble or major piston stockist that holds old stocks as well as new manufactured rings.

Ralph Whitaker.

piston rings

Post by Ralph Whitaker. »

Try Andrews Engineering, Leigh at www.andrew-engineering.co.uk . Ive just had a look at their list and they did have a limited stock of +20 and +30 rings for the 66mm bore twin. Failing that try John Phelan, 18 Bowshaw, Dronfield, Nr Sheffield, England, he has a large stock of Pistons and rings.