Engine stops after about 10 miles

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Rohan B.

Post by Rohan B. »

PS have you checked for airleaks on the inlet side of things, particularly on the side that gets hot ?

And have you checked that the ignition timing (spark) is at the correct time on BOTH cylinders ? Its not unknown for magneto cam rings to have a bit different timings on each side - if its far enough out then one cylinder may be doing all the work and thus get hot...

paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

G'Day Mike, Just for interest have a look at http://members.aol.com/pinman1/magnetos.htm
Ken had better have a look too!! after he drains his muddy bath water! [xx(] We have fitted this blokes capacitors down here with great success.
If all else fails, you have the option of purchasing a lapel pin.......
better get one for K.B. as well ...[:D]
Cheers Paul..[;)]

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

itma

Post by itma »

Interesting site Paul, and I go along with all he says , in principle. it`s long been accepted that old electrics have certain weak points,and that those weak points will come to grief some day, but my assertion was that given the technology availiable at the time they worked well and reliably enough, not a lot of light out of the dynamos perhaps, mine are still working well enough after all this time, my mag was NOS when I fitted it in 1976 and I`ll stick to my dictum of if it works leave it. After all you`ll find fault with any new vehicle if you look critically enough.
Mind you, surprising you poor cobbers have to cross the Pacific to get your mag fixed?, and he`s a V******** rider [:0]they`re all known as a bit peculiar.
thank you for the offer of the pin thing, [:)]I look forward to receiving it, we call them badges here[:D][:D][:D]
perhaps the friday morning bikes went stateside and the PM ones to OZ?

I can tell a wonderful tale of Plumstead commandos for the USA that were friday bikes all week, but not here perhaps.
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

Ken,... all bulldust aside, I agree with everything you mentioned, by todays standards they were feeble, but!! they are part of the old motorcycle package, and keeping them working along with Mr. Amal and Mr. Burman and the individual machines inherent characteristicts are part of the ..attraction?? and comradeship!! Gad....what am I saying??
Love to hear someday about the Friday Commandos. Can't wait.
Cheers Paul

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

itma

Post by itma »

Paul. too long a tale to tell here re fridays, As a taster I walked into the AMC [aka norton-villiers]employment office at Plumstead one day in the late 60`s and asked if I could work there, I should have sussed when the bloke said "WHY?"
As for the mag-man I get a bit defensive when someone from grosse pomme land [:p] tries to scare me into buying something I don`t need.[:)] by telling me that the bit I used happily for years is a load of crap.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

And a junior poster to boot ken[:D][:D]

Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Post by itma »

re the above I am dismayed to see how quickly I have acheived[?] this number of posts, have I nothing better to do?[ this one don`t count `cos I pressed the button twice and can`t edit it out]
itma

Post by itma »

I was referring to the chap on the link, not our antipodean chum[:D]

Grosse pommeland= land of the Big Apple....Geddit?[;)]
whats the point of talking in riddles if you don`t at least try?[:o)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

And just what was the question?

itma