Oil Pressure Gauge or light?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
sunnybob

Oil Pressure Gauge or light?

Post by sunnybob »

Hello, I would like to add a oil pressure gauge kit or at least an idiot light on my model 20. The previous owner add a tap on the oil line and I am afraid of forgetting it closed so a gauge or a light would be of great help. Any suggestion? Thank you very much. Roberto
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge or light?

Post by Rob Harknett »

This has come up many times, search old topics, perhaps use key word like oil tap, for an instant answer.
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Thank you Rob, I follow your suggestion and I made a search with "tap" and "oil" and I found this video although it would be preferable to have direct control of the oil pressure
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Would you trust a light or gauge, which could go wrong. Our old bikes will sump oil when standing, some more than others. So having an oil tap does help prevent this. You have a petrol tap you have to remember to turn on. Put a key ring on the tap below the tank. You will feel this as a reminder to turn oil on & off also.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

sunnybob wrote:Thank you Rob, I follow your suggestion and I made a search with "tap" and "oil" and I found this video although it would be preferable to have direct control of the oil pressure
That is a very posh and expensive way of doing it. A washing machine water pipe tap plus a car courtesy light plunger switch will do the same job for less than £10. The tap turns the oil off and the courtesy light switch earths the magneto/ignition to prevent you starting the engine with the tap turned off. If you are coming to the Jampot Rally I will show you.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

If you are coming to the Jampot Rally I will show you.[/quote]

A long way to come so far only one from Italy and that is Sergio.
Roy
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Maybe that is the motivation he needs :D
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

leswaller wrote:
sunnybob wrote:Thank you Rob, I follow your suggestion and I made a search with "tap" and "oil" and I found this video although it would be preferable to have direct control of the oil pressure
That is a very posh and expensive way of doing it. A washing machine water pipe tap plus a car courtesy light plunger switch will do the same job for less than £10. The tap turns the oil off and the courtesy light switch earths the magneto/ignition to prevent you starting the engine with the tap turned off. If you are coming to the Jampot Rally I will show you.
Exactly what I thought. The video gave me the idea of using the taillight switch of an old Cagiva (http://www.ebay.it/itm/331107153779?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT) connecting it to tap oil, but, again, I wish I could check the oil pressure. It is true that the tool may break or indicate a wrong reading but in my opinion it is helpful. Better check a false alarm but have the chance to realize if the oil does not circulate. Ah ... Unfortunately I can not be the Jampot Rally because I live in Italy :-(
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

leswaller wrote:
Les

Have you fitted one of these to your bike? If so a pic of the finished article would be great.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Is this the "Iron John" valve from the States. Looks very nice but when I tracked him down a while ago they were about $150 plus shipping.
I don't have a problem with the G80 but my A10 empties its tank into the sump in about a fortnight. I have put a tap in the oil line and a sticker on the steering damper to remind me but I do worry that I will forget some time so the automatic mag kill switch would be a great idea.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.