Ignition Puzzle

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
midgebuster

Ignition Puzzle

Post by midgebuster »

Hi guys, wonder if you can help
I had the bike running fine a couple of weeks ago ready for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.
Got it out in the morning ready to go and it won't start, no spark. I noticed that whereas before when turning on the ignition the ammeter showed a discharge, there is now no movement. I have since replaced the coil, thinking that might have been the cause, but still no discharge or spark. There is current to the coil and to the dizzy
Any ideas?
The bike is a model 20 500 1961 on coil and distributor, still on 6V
petert120r

Re: Ignition Puzzle

Post by petert120r »

Ca
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Try a new condensor. Or is the wire to the points/condensor loose?
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Points stuck open / not making contact when closed?

Regards Mick
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Neil, what means "There is current to the coil"? The ammeter showed no discharge, so do you mean voltage to the coil? Did you measure the voltage directly across the coil terminals (and notice then that the voltage jumps between zero and battery voltage when you slowly crank the engine)?
Albert
Janet

Post by Janet »

midgebuster wrote: I noticed that whereas before when turning on the ignition the ammeter showed a discharge, there is now no movement.
Do you mean there is no movement even when you kick over the bike? When you turn it on it won't show a discharge if the points are open.

Now for a warning. After you've been working on your bike, don't leave your ignition turned on for a couple of weeks when your points are closed. Someone I know :oops: did this and found that the bike didn't want to play afterwards.
midgebuster

Post by midgebuster »

Thanks I'll check the points later. It would make sense that the points might be stuck open as it was working the evening before ok.
I've got a master switch on the battery so I can't leave the ignition on for long.
I'll keep you posted
midgebuster

Post by midgebuster »

Well that worked, got a spark and a discharge back on the ammeter. There must have been dirt in between the points. Still not firing but I'll set the points and try again, maybe get a condenser so I know it's done