After winter starting

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
shifter

Re: After winter starting

Post by shifter »

Hello Jim
I am sure I got the last one that he made he is on e bay (parkwood2012) if that helps he may make one if you contact him
William
Last edited by shifter on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Thanks Kevin

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
shifter

Re: after winter starting

Post by shifter »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Lovely bike - serious envy

Regards Mick
Thank you Mick I think its nice as well did you notice the speedometer its one of those Indian replicas (£12.00 including delivery) I have put on while I referb the original one looks a bit daft but works ok
?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I find it strange the carrier rocks. Having two bolts should prevent this happening. I assume its just the carrier that moves, not guard / and grab rail. There must be play somewhere. Bit like the easy to assemble Oriental bike stands. They will rock enough for them to fall over when raised carrying a bike.. Play, too much tolerance, being the main problem. Screws instead of bolts used etc. On the bike stands you may find 6 mm screws in a 7 mm hole. So you need to drill all the holes out and use 8 mm bolts to make them rigid. There are different bolts to use with a carrier. I also have thick bevelled washers on mine.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.06.01_10h11m18s_001_.png
SDC14653.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Thanks Rob

You are probably right about the clearance in the bolt holes allowing movement of the rack.

I have ordered one of the racks that Shifter has from the ebay seller - only £45. The third mounting will make a lot of difference to the stability especially as I plan to fit a top box. Once it is loaded up with tools and a few six packs it could be quite heavy :beer:

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.

Post by 1608 »

I'm very pleased with my Indian made speedo ( £21.00) can't go wrong, and I think it looks very good too. Has no trip though and reads a bit fast. I think its geared up for KPM and just had a MPH face fitted, who cares.
shifter

Post by shifter »

1608 yes the Indian speedometers are worth there money and do a canny job but I prefer the original one that's just my preference
JimFitz I see you have ordered a rack I think you will be pleased with it I have been away on the bike so had the top box on full of goodies and (tools never needed them but handy to have) and it was as solid as a rock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shifter on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?

Post by 1608 »

Hi William, nice looking bike. I wouldn't dream of fitting an Indian made speedo on my AJS :roll: :roll: :roll: Its on my Ariel. Even so, If I needed a new one I wouldn't pay the current asking price for a Smiths one thats been 'renovated'.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes I think it's a really nice bike too. If it were mine though I'd have to turn the front brake arm to face backwards, and fit the torque arm with adjuster behind the slider. The cable would then run nice and straight from the arm through the adjuster.
Dave.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Dave I agree but would have to get another T arm to fit it the way you say I did try fitting it the way you say but the t arm top hits the rim I know it is not the nicest set up but it works fine
William
Torque arm ordered off the site sales team should be here in the morning so will be fitted as soon as
?