mystery over ajs model 20 frame number

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
bostonted

mystery over ajs model 20 frame number

Post by bostonted »

frame number.JPG
Hi i have a ajs model 20 , its the cutaway bike which was in last Octs Jampot, the club can find no record of the frame number , as it should have another digit, its a real mystery, i believe the frame is from 1951 , so i thought i would put it out to see if anyone could help, or does anyone have a similar model with a frame number which is close to this , frame no 4980, i have put the photo on as well, as the number looks original, thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: mystery over ajs model 20 frame number

Post by SPRIDDLER »

bostonted wrote:
frame number.JPG
...the club can find no record of the frame number , as it should have another digit, its a real mystery, i believe the frame is from 1951 ,
I believe I'm correct in saying that the club does not have any records of Competition machines.

Roy Bacon's Restoration book (page 212) shows that 4 digit frame numbers in your range without pre or suffix were used for some competition singles from Sept '53 to Sept '55. E.g. The G80C frame numbers ran from 4615 in Sept '54 to 5711 in Sept '55. The G3LCS frames ran from 4942 in Sept '53 to 5212 in Sept '54. No prefix or suffix letters used in this period.
However, for most earlier years back to 1946 most competition frames had a 'C' after the 4 digit frame number, except '53 to '54 and '54 to '55 (as mentioned above).
You need to refer to the rather extensive matrix in Bacon's book of frame numbers/years/model numbers as there's no formal sequencing or logic whether there was or wasn't a suffix used at the factory. For some years in your number range a 'C' or 'CS' suffix was used for some competition models but not for others of the same year.
Maybe it's a competition single frame used for the Model 20?

I've managed to take a pic of page 212 in Bacon's book..
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Not sure what's trying to be achieved here as the dating officer has already dealt with this enquiry and has responded by saying that no records are to be found. Without any official paperwork there can be no official recognition regardless of what may or may not be found by other sources. The club will never issue any paperwork relating to this bike.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

:oops: :oops: No intention to usurp our venerable Dating Officer's authority.
I took it to be that he already had a V5 showing the frame number and was making a general enquiry out of historical interest, not a need for formal documentation.

:cry:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure if such a bike would ever have got registered for use on the road.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Rob Harknett wrote:Not sure if such a bike would ever have got registered for use on the road.
Would never pass a MOT in the days when it would have been required :headbang: :headbang:
Roy
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I have seen loads of photos of this bike. Its got big holes everywhere. Look on page 134 of Roy Bacons restoration book. Looks just like that. I think Bostonted is looking more for its historical line than trying to get it on the road.
I like the idea from Spridler that the fram might be a competition sing frame. Probably easier to pinch a frame from the comp section that the main production line. Think its a great find and interested in others view on itsbeing
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

alanengineer wrote:I have seen loads of photos of this bike. Its got big holes everywhere. Look on page 134 of Roy Bacons restoration book. Looks just like that. I think Bostonted is looking more for its historical line than trying to get it on the road.
I like the idea from Spridler that the fram might be a competition sing frame. Probably easier to pinch a frame from the comp section that the main production line. Think its a great find and interested in others view on itsbeing
It's a twin frame as it has the twin head steady on the down tube.
Roy