My sons "new" AJS Model 20

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Daveinater

Re: My sons "new" AJS Model 20

Post by Daveinater »

Thanks Tony!
I don't think they sell Araldite here but there is a two part adhesive called JB Weld that would probably do the job. I think the mechanic wasn't thrilled about going that route, in case it breaks free and ends up in the workings inside the chaincase. I'll give it a try though.
Thanks again,
Dave
Janet

Post by Janet »

I think I'd take that risk rather than follow his previous advice to run the chain dry.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, it did occur to me that there is that risk of it dropping into the primary chain. You'd just have to keep an eye on the screw for any sign of it loosening, (or renewed leaking).
JB Weld has a very good reputation.
Maybe you could have the nut silver soldered or brazed in place. The nut can be quite thin as it doesn't have to withstand much force.
It does seem a bit 'over the top' to replace the whole chaincase (if you can get a good one).
In desperation, and as a very last resort if the thought of losing the nut inside keeps you awake at night ( ;) ) you could JB Weld a bolt on the inside and have a Nyloc (self-locking) type nut on the outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you clean of the inside face to bare metal and de-grease it then JB weld is the way to go. My next door neighbour had nearly all his captive nuts work loose (no jokes please) and we JB'd them in place and 3 yrs later they're still good as the day it was done.