Oil tank filter catastrophe - almost

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Mick D

Re: Oil tank filter catastrophe - almost

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If the repro filter is not sealed at the upper end it's not doing much filtering either - isn't there a spring in the assembly which keeps it in contact with the cap?

Having said that, the filter looks rather coarse so probably could be dispensed with and replaced with a fine grid mesh cylinder.

Regards Mick
REW

Post by REW »

There is Mick but it is not strong enough to prevent the filter being pulled sideways. I reckon the filter should be 6 3/4 inch long so it rests on the neck of the cap hole. As it is 6 1/2 it flops under the neck to the side of the chamber where the oil hole is, under the suction of the oil flow.

Yes, the cap should fit well and the felt could be thicker too. I feel a bit of DIY modification to come though how much worth it will all have in the end I know not. Keeps me off the streets.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Ron, why not get a Triumph Trident paper filter. There was an article about it in the jampot. I believe it fits with a spacer underneath and must a be much better filter than the original.
Dave.
REW

Post by REW »

I remember that idea being discussed on this forum a while before it appeared in print. It's a good idea but some machining of parts is needed isn't it? That might well be beyond my meagre skills.
Ron

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If you go to photos, then twin parts, it's on the first page. It's only a spacer with a hole through because the Trident filter is shorter.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Maybe its time for the club to withdraw these from sale until this can be rectified, as it seems they still have the same problem as reported back in 2015. Isn't it much better not to stock a product that is unfit for purpose, before it fails and causes a engine failure ?
Roy
REW

Post by REW »

I think I was lucky on the engine failure front Roy though no road test as yet.

I have no means to make a spacer like that Dave - have any/many of us tried it?

I have ordered a sample of thicker 100% wool felt to make a filter using either an original wire mesh or by doctoring a repro item.

Daft thing is I now remember doing something similar years ago for my single, though I have only just connected the two in my mind. In both cases the repro filter was a bit short and blocked the oil output hole. :cry: On the single the oil return pipe blew off on my drive so little risk. This time with the twin, hmmm...
Ron

REW

Post by REW »

Parts including a socket for the headbolts arrived just a day after ordering! Thanks Gary and team at Kettering - spot on.

Now, checking bolt torque. Do I loosen a 1/4 turn first or just move directly to, say, 16ft lbs diagonally then to 18 or even 20? What does the team think?
Ron

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Back off and then go to 25 lbs diagonally and carefully.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd back off all nuts in a diagonal pattern then torque diagonally in stages, say 15 - 20 - 25 lbs/ft, (keep going around the nuts diagonally until they stop moving before moving on to the next stage).

Take the bike for a run to get everything well up to temperature. If all is OK re-torque to 25 lbs/ft diagonally, without backing off and after it's cooled down.

Check at 25 lbs/ft once more after a hundred miles or so, again diagonally and cold.

Regards Mick