Various G9 issues

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
TrevorB

Various G9 issues

Post by TrevorB »

Any ideas please?

1. I am trying to inspect my dynamo brushes (Lucas E3L type) without removing the dynamo from the bike but cannot get the cover off. I've undone & removed the fixing screw and managed to wiggle the cover off by about â…›" but it won't come loose and I can't get a good grip on it. Any suggestions please?

2. I have modified my prop stand as suggested by other kind members so that I can now push it down with my foot whilst still astride the bike. On re-fitting it however, the only apparent fixing point for the prop stand spring appears to be a metal eyelet thingy secured by one of the crankcase through bolts on the other side of the crankcase to the stand pivot point. I didn't see where the spring was originally fitted when I removed the stand as the spring just fell off when I loosened the stand pivot bolt. I have fitted the spring to this eyelet and the stand is retained in both positions satisfactorily but the spring is now rubbing on the underside of the crankcase. I am dubious this can be right. Any ideas please?

3. Can anyone suggest a tip for easily getting the washers and nuts back on to the dual seat rear fixing screws. I don't have big hands but find it just about impossible to get my hand into the right area whilst holding washer and nut in position to enable the screw to engage.

4. Does anyone have a tip for getting new knee grip rubbers (purchased from spares scheme) on to new plates (also purchased from spares scheme). I wasn't happy with the original rubbers as they did not sit flush with the tank and were becoming badly perished. Also, the original fixing plates were quite badly corroded. However, it appears that the new plates are too big all round to sit snugly in the recess in the back of the rubbers.

Any advice gratefully accepted. Many thanks.
TeeBee
dave16mct

Re: Various G9 issues

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Trevor,
1/ I can't see why you can't remove the dynamo end cover but it's easy to remove the whole dynamo on a twin.
2/If the spring catches, make a longer bracket for the spring. (I'm sure mine catches too)
3/ My solution for this most frustrating of tasks is to make a 'nut' from a piece if polypropelene about 50x15x10mm. Drill a hole at one end and tap to suit your seat bolt. Put a large countersink on it and you only have to hold it in place and screw the bolt in. It doesn't have to be tight and will not come loose.
4/You could grind a bit off the new plate if you're sure it's too big. Paint and fit. Start at the small curve and use something like swarfega to lubricate it to help it on.
Dave
Last edited by dave16mct on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

2. I put a piece of plastic tubing over the spring where it could touch the casing if it vibrates.

Rob C
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Rob C and Dave, many thanks for the response.

1. i'll give removing the whole dynamo a go.
TeeBee
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

For the seat bolts you can superglue the nut and washer together and then use the ring end of a combination spanner to offer them up to the bolt. If the nut is a little loose in the spanner it can be packed out with tissue or masking tape - works for me :)

Regards Mick
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

If you have welding facilities then weld the seat holding nuts to the inside of the frame in the correct position (hold it in correct place with a bolt). This is an easy fix and a permanent solution and you will no longer have to fiddle about with your fingers or a spanner. I have tried all the other options such as super glue and they have all failed after a while
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
raffles

Post by raffles »

2 the prop stand spring locates in a small hole on the inside of the right hand lower frame tube there are in fact two holes easily viewed with a torch from underneath
on the lefthand side both holes are drilled blind on the inside of the frame tube the spring when fitted into one will allow the stand to stay down with no weight on it
the other will allow it to flick back. hope this helps.
Tony
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

my rear seat uses bolts coming through from the inner of frame to the outside and i have acorn nuts and washers on the outside .
before the seat goes on i put the bolts in the frame holes so they only just stick out the other side and then when i drop the seat down to them i can get my finger round the back of seat and push the bolts through and then fit the acorn nuts on the outside and nip them up easily .
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

g5wqian wrote:my rear seat uses bolts coming through from the inner of frame to the outside and i have acorn nuts and washers on the outside .
before the seat goes on i put the bolts in the frame holes so they only just stick out the other side and then when i drop the seat down to them i can get my finger round the back of seat and push the bolts through and then fit the acorn nuts on the outside and nip them up easily .
Don't the acorn nuts dig into your legs?, that was the main point of the original, almost flat dome head bolts, going from outside to inside.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

To all who responded. Many thanks for the tips and advice.

Best wishes
TeeBee