Correct rear frame and rear mudguard for 1953

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
bennie

Correct rear frame and rear mudguard for 1953

Post by bennie »

Hi, I am trying to sort out the proper rear frame for my 1953 Model 20 AJS.
More specific, should it have the small gusset tube close to the top fitting holes as in the picture enclosed?
If so, what is the purpose of the little gusset?
Then the rear mudguard, should it be the version with 1 or with 2 bolts joining the 2 halves?
Cheers, Bennie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: Correct rear frame and rear mudguard for 1953

Post by dave16mct »

Yes that is the correct mudguard for 53. The little tube is for the regulator bracket. If you look at the picture on page 51 of the 53 manual you can just see it. The other part of the regulator bracket bolts to an extension of the battery carrier.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just to kick things off. We really need to know the model of your 53 bike. Also a picture of the whole of the rear frame, instead of just part with just one little clue. Depending on the model neither of the guard parts may be correct. If any part is correct it will be the front two bolt fixing part. The rear part is for a later single bolt fixing guard. You may perhaps be able to use what you have by cutting off the single bolt tab. Then make a two bolt tab to fit in the gusset , with elongated slots to line up with the treaded bolt holes. The guard is designed so you can just undo the centre bolt or bolts, plus the L and R rear nuts & bolts , of the pair each side. Just rear of the joint, stop & tail light wires should have connectors. These can then be pulled apart to remove the complete rear guard assembly, to remove the rear wheel.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I noticed Dave as advised about the frame, I was concerned about the model so Dave probably spotted this by the clue he mentioned. I am sure he will make comment about the rear part with single bolt tab not matching the front part. Perhaps he did not spot this in the first instant.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes, sorry I was looking at the 2 holes in the main part. The rear half should obviously have 2 tabs to fit in the two slots, then 2 bolts hold it in. Should be an easy job to convert the tail piece to fit the main part.
Dave.
bennie

Post by bennie »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The bike came with a hinged rear mudguard, which I thought to be incorrect.
The bike came with a rear frame without the little tube, with the 2 hooks for the tyre pump on the left.
The battery carrier was a botched up version, looked like some part was brazed on to it for fitting the regulator.

Rob asked about more info on the model.
As said, it is a 1953 AJS Model 20 (500cc).
Do you mean there are different versions for the 1953 model?
The frame number is 92748.

About the little tube on the rear frame:
Dave, I did not have an AJS manual for 1953 twins, but I see the purpose of the tube now in the illustration on page 51 of the 1953 Matchless manual, thanks!
And yes, also the 1953 AJS twins spares list shows the rear frame with the tube on page 25, but there the hooks for the tyre pump are on the right..
And it shows 2 part numbers in the ilustration (018051 and 018064), in the description page it reads number 018051.
This confused me, as I believed, from 1953 model pictures I saw, the tyre pump is to be on the left, correct?
But more confusion, the illustration on page 51 of the 1953 Matchless twin manual shows the hooks on the right!
What should it be?
Edit: the document "Frame Rear Parts and Year Guide" by John Ready (2010) shows a rear frame for 1953 with the part number 018051 but without the little tube..

About the mudguard:
Ok, I take it from Rob that the front fixed part with the two holes/nuts is correct.
The problem with making a rear part with one tab to fit is that both parts are "males".
I refer to the inside strenghtening bracket.
It fits a "female" counterpart, with the bracket not protruding.
To change the position of the bracket of the single bolt version, to make it a "female", is a quite a bit more work, for me at least ;) .

Cheers, Bennie.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I failed to notice it was an AJS mod 20. ( eyes drawn to Matchless on the guard I guess ) some older battery carriers did have the CVC fit to a bracket on the rear side pointing towards the back of the bike. Do not destroy if gen. That carrier is a rarer type used. I am a bit puzzled about the male and female thing on both 1 and 2 bolt fixing types, both front sections have threaded hole / holes. These take a bolt. The bolt clamping the tab in position.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You could put an advert in the 'Wanted' section for a 2 tab rear tailpiece to swap for your 1 tab tailpiece.
Dave.
bennie

Post by bennie »

The modified battery carrier has the CVC facing outward.
Probably had to be modified as the rear frame fitted had no little tube on it, so requiring another means of fitting the top of the CVC.
See attached picture.

Any light you guys can shed on the proper type of rear frame loop? I mean the position of the hooks for the pump, shouls they be on the left or on the right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.