M20 Battery Carrier Construction

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
JakeRoorda

M20 Battery Carrier Construction

Post by JakeRoorda »

Can anyone send me a picture of a battery carrier for a 1953 AJS M20? My recent purchase seems to have been modified and I'd like to return it to original.
Issue relates to mount for regulator. Thanks in advance, jake
Rob Harknett

Re: M20 Battery Carrier Construction

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.17_21h26m04s_001_.png
I assume you have checked your Parts List and see your battery carrier should have the tab on it. That being the tab the CVC unit bolts on to. Perhaps this is where it has been modified. You do not say, in what way you think it has been modified. So at a guess, I would say, this part of the carrier has been modified, because the type with the strap for the CVC unit, is less common. So easier to modify a more common carrier, than hunt for a original. The strap you see in my attachment is the strap that fits on the underside of the carrier, to a tab on the inner primary chain case. This strap is often missing. Note the screw must be CSK head, so the head is flat with the base of the carrier.
Edit.... I now notice you mention the CVC unit. Surely the parts list picture would have shown what you want to know????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JakeRoorda

Post by JakeRoorda »

Thank you. I have the parts book but was hoping for more detail from someone with an actual battery carrier. I was hoping (and should have specified) dimensions for the side strap: overall length, overhang length, distance from bottom, hole size, special shape (angle) etc.
JakeRoorda

Post by JakeRoorda »

Thank you for all the information in the post. I have the parts book but was hoping for more detail from someone with an actual battery carrier. My battery carrier is principally the same as in the parts book, but has been significantly modified to attach what i assume was a CVC unit. I was hoping (and should have specified) dimensions for the side strap that appears on the RHS: overall length, overhang length, distance from bottom, hole size, special shape (angle) etc. Thanks in advance, jake
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its some time since I had such a carrier in my hands. I do however wonder how the C V C unit fits on the single hole strap. What CVC? I though MCR2 which has 2 fixing points. Maybe more than just the dimensions of the carrier strap are required, unless you are more aware of the points that raise a ? to myself. It needs an owner to comment.
JakeRoorda

Post by JakeRoorda »

Im not able to do this for a few days, but i will post a picture of my battery carrier (now that you have shown me how - thanks). The carrier i have has a crudely welded larger triangular bracket with two holes. Reading your post makes me pause. Perhaps what i have is correct.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

JakeRoorda wrote:Im not able to do this for a few days, but i will post a picture of my battery carrier (now that you have shown me how - thanks). The carrier i have has a crudely welded larger triangular bracket with two holes. Reading your post makes me pause. Perhaps what i have is correct.
I think you may be thinking the same as I. I am sure the carrier I once had did have a bracket with 2 holes. Which is why the parts list pic puzzled me. When I picked up this battery carrier I wanted it for a 1936 bike. That never had a CVC unit. So did not need the bracket. I just used the carrier as it was. When I found the correct type. I passed the carrier with the bracket on to some one who needed it. The frame fitting tabs may differ to fit the tube. I had to bend them a bit & open holes to fit my 1936 AJS. So the battery carrier sits upright. Apart from looking awful not upright, acid levels would not be level for all cells.
JakeRoorda

Post by JakeRoorda »

Im now pretty certain the poorly repaired (to look like a cobble up) plate off the side of the battery carrier is truly the regulator mount. Thanks for all the help.