Rocker removal

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
ebolastu

Rocker removal

Post by ebolastu »

Hi all.

I'm new to this ajs/matchless game having bought a pair of them last weekend. Both from an old barn!

The ajs is a 57 m20 (the matchless is a G3l 55).

I'm starting the m20 first.

Wasn't in bad nick, needs a rebore. The exhaust valve was bent. Probably due to the last muppets not putting in a head gasket, they said there was no compression and retired it to a shed.

I want to get the valve springs out and need to remove the rockers. Do they just push out using a drift?!i have an owners manual that says ‘remove rocker' which is rather unhelpful.

Is there any trick or special way. As a mechanical rock ape I don't want to resort to beating it just yet!

Any tips?

Many thanks

Stuey
dave16mct

Re: Rocker removal

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Stuey,
from memory, undo and remove the clamp nut and bolt. Push the rocker spindle out and the rocker's free. Watch out for the shims and spring. Here's a manual: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf Nice find! :D
Dave.
bitza

Post by bitza »

As Dave said, remove the small nut and clamping bolt,push out the rocker shaft, make a note of orientation of shims and springs etc, take photo's if possible, you will likely find some wear on the rocker end that bears on the valve stem.on reassembly you rotate the spindle which is eccentric to set the valve clearance.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

These should be a sliding fit. Best check that Mr Muppet has not burred the screwdriver slots on the end of the adjuster too much or they might require dressing before dismantling. Remember to assemble the heads before bolting back on as the shafts can not be installed afterwards.
ebolastu

Post by ebolastu »

great and many thanks I will have a look this weekend.