Throttle cable slack

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
helloluketurner

Re: Throttle cable slack

Post by helloluketurner »

-
Last edited by helloluketurner on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
helloluketurner

I've just spoken to Steven at AMC Classic Spares & he thinks he's identified the problem.

The metal throttle stop pictured in cbranni's photo was included with the throttle cable but it wouldn't fit my twistgrip so I had to use the original smaller one that I already had. Because of this he thinks I have an Amal 366 twistgrip. It was produced & fitted for a few years then superseded by the more common larger type. This could be causing the issue with the throttle cable.

If I take the twistgrip off I should find the digits 366 stamped on it.
helloluketurner

I also had to file down the barrel nipple end in order to fit it into the socket on the twistgrip. Not a huge amount but just shave enough off to get it to fit. I think the socket had already been opened up by somebody else as the 366 twistgrips should originally take a much smaller nipple.
helloluketurner

Took the throttle apart before work, 366/002 is stamped on the inside as suspected.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I've had a similar problem with cable slack on my 31. I think the problem is wear in the throttle itself, so it twists on past the closed position and ends up with the nipple right at the bottom by the cable exit. I've just re-read that - I think it makes sense.

Malc
helloluketurner

That does doesn't not make sense!

I've just order a new Doherty twistgrip with a new pair of Beston style grips. Lovely!