First run out.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

First run out.

Post by Oggers »

Took the newly rebuilt G9 - 7 miles on clock - for a spin out yesterday. Kept below 40, changed up low etc etc. All went very well, lovely weather. On return, I noticed a bit of an oil weep dripping underneath - well it is British :roll: . Looked to be around a couple of tablespoons, but who knows whilst running.... It looked like the valve gear timing case - the large 3 lobed case on the offside - so I nipped up the screws. Also the oil feed/return unions and the sump plug. Head looks fine, as do tappet covers. Any other suggestions most welcome.....

Many thanks

Mark
Rob Harknett

Re: First run out.

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would not let a few drips worry me much. If I got no drips I would wonder if the bike had ran out of oil. Just keep an eye on it.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Rob

It's a little more than a few drips - otherwise I would agree. The thing that concerns me a wee bit is that is seems to be leaking when running, rather than just dripping slowly then stopping when stationary. It could all be just "bedding in" of course.....
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I had a similar thing with my 650; tightening everything down helped. Also, when running the oil is chucked around inside the cover; when stationary any oil in there will end up at the bottom, and that may not be where it's leaking from. Also, could it be leaking from the inner case/dynamo joint? I had to push the dymano across to tighten the seal, and then nip up the domed nut a bit.

Malc
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

British bikes did not leak oil when new - they may do now as they are 60 odd years old and have doubtless had many mechanically unsympathetic owners! Blame the users, not the manufacturers. Andy
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Andy51 wrote:British bikes did not leak oil when new - they may do now as they are 60 odd years old and have doubtless had many mechanically unsympathetic owners! Blame the users, not the manufacturers. Andy
Well let us say they are less tolerant of unsympathetic owners then. I would also argue the design is not particularly conducive to retaining oil either - though better than most of the era....
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In the back of my mind I recall reading that one reason why Japanese bikes were so leak free was due the crankcase being split horizontally, rather than the Brit bike engines which generally had crankcases split vertically, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with Jap bike to judge. Anyway, in my experience the vertical c/case join on Brit bikes isn't the major source of leaks.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matg80s

Post by matg80s »

Last edited by matg80s on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Gents

Thanks for all that. Yes understand about mating faces, just wondered if there was anywhere else which prone to leaks. I'll give it another run shortly to test further. Correct about the Japanese bikes - though they are not perfect by any means.

Pic below
DSCF3009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matg80s

Post by matg80s »