Open face helmet suggestions

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Open face helmet suggestions

Post by Oggers »

Tested the G9 today. Glorious 40 minutes or so around Deeside in the sun. The scent of gorse, marvellous views of Clachnaben and the sound of a burbling oil leak free Matchless. The gasket appears to have done the trick, and not a single drop post ride. My thanks to all.

Next Q. What do we recommend as regards open face helmets? My cheap old one is far beyond its best. Looking to spend about 150 or so. The classic white Bell seems fine, but seems a snug fit. It does look the part though.....Mick - the accessory shop on Great North Road in Aberdeen seems to be the place....

Bonus 5 points - trouserings. My old leathers are again past their best, and somewhat restrictive - probably down to me! Again, recommendations welcome. Kevlar jeans or some such?
Rob Harknett

Re: Open face helmet suggestions

Post by Rob Harknett »

I prefer the open face drop down visor type. You can always flip it down for protection against dust, flies and rain. Some helmets come with 2 or more ear pads, So you can select the size to sit the fit you like.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Oggers

See my thread regarding the same question here:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ace+helmet

I've had excellent service from J&S, they have a good stock holding and don't rush you into a purchase - if you're like me though you will be sorely tempted to spend more than you planned ;)

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Plugsnpoints

Following on from Poul's issues with Feked, it has prompted me to tell everyone about my recent experience with J&S Accessories.

I thought it'd be good to let people know how they deal with faulty goods.

Last October I bought a Frank Thomas Spitfire leather jacket from them at their Braintree store. It's a smart, warm jacket.

However, It soon become apparent that the buckles were faulty, as they wouldn't stay done up.

A few weeks ago I turned up at the shop and saw the manager, and politely asked him how to get it sorted.

His answer astounded me "We don't make them, what do you want me to do about it?"

This got my back up instantly as you could imagine. I had to quote the consumer rights act stating this isn't merchantable quality etc.

He offered to send it away to be repaired, not a replacement. I emailed head office and they eventually offered me a brand new "modified" jacket. They'd sewn Velcro in the wrong places to try and get around it! I'd decided enough was enough, and accepted the £30 discount and get it repaired locally.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they don't have a great returns policy if you have faulty goods. I'd be very wary of buying anything from them now.

Would this be the same chain supplier ?
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Roy

Yes, I believe it is the same company, however as I've not had cause to return any goods I cannot comment on their returns policy. My experience at the Aberdeen branch was very relaxed and pleasant and I'm pretty confident that should I have an issue with one of their products I'd get a satisfactory result.
I don't think we should tar all branches of a nationwide chain based on a single experience.

Fecked is a sole outlet - so we seem to be comparing apples and oranges ;)

Regards Mick
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

G15 Roy wrote:Would this be the same chain supplier ?
The Aberdeen branch do not supply chains, it's more of a clothing outlet :rofl: :rofl:

Regards Mick
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i use a v-can open face peaked helmet , good price and fit , or i use an origine open face that has a flip visor and bluetooth fitted with inbuilt charging socket and external volume control/on off knob .

the bluetooth helmet i use to connect to my phone for satnav if i am going somewhere i want to have directions for, might as well use the technology if its available .

its good to have a peak if you are going towards the sun .