What tools do you carry around

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

What tools do you carry around

Post by Oggers »

Self -explanatory really. Just looking for a steer as to what to carry in the toolbox. Just a mobile to call the breakdown folk? :D
Rob Harknett

Re: What tools do you carry around

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should manage with what was supplied with the bike when new, which you will find listed in your parts list.
griffin

Post by griffin »

What tools do you carry around ?

Sawn off 12 gauge and a baseball bat …………... :o
bitza

Post by bitza »

And don't forget the important portable adjusting tool fits everything on old bikes, nice smooth handle and a lump of heavy material on the end,
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I started off with a set of Whitworth combination spanners and a couple of screwdrivers. When working on the bike, any addition tool required got added to the tool roll, so I now have spanners, screwdrivers, feeler gauges, pliers, insulating tape, adjustable spanner, allen key. Well, you can't be too careful.

All of that travels in a tank bag, along with waterproof overtrousers, some rag and a small square of wood for parking on soft ground.

Malc

P.S. The small lathe, pillar drill, large battery and inverter are all on a trailer pulled behind the bike. ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

What ! no spare chain link.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote:I started off with a set of Whitworth combination spanners and a couple of screwdrivers. When working on the bike, any addition tool required got added to the tool roll, so I now have spanners, screwdrivers, feeler gauges, pliers, insulating tape, adjustable spanner, allen key. Well, you can't be too careful.

All of that travels in a tank bag, along with waterproof overtrousers, some rag and a small square of wood for parking on soft ground.
Ditto that for club runs and U.K. rallies, plus spare plug, various cable ties, folded 10" piece of coat hanger wire, chain link, spare clutch cable (taped to current one), length of fuel pipe and HT lead (poked inside the h/bars), spare head and tail light bulbs (in bubble wrap inside headlamp shell) plus small odds and ends e.g. magneto points spanners, HT pickup spring and carbon brush, emergency cable set (coiled inner, solderless nipples), a few fibre washers, couple of nuts and bolts, piece of stranded electrical wire (one strand excellent for poking out carb jets).
However, it all seems to benefit chums more often than me ;)
I don't think I'm the only one to fall off when parked so as far as the piece of wood for soft ground is concerned ISTR that one of our members, Mike Monk? (maybe others) has his on a piece of string for recovering it before riding off.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi
Love the practise of using the handlebars and headlamp shell as storage :beer:

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

When using the trailer behind the Matchless I had all the above plus spare SR1 magneto, Brightspark capacitor/condensor, new inner tube, inner tube repair kit, spare can repair, pump and vintage (but very effective) Dunlop tyre levers.

Sprid mentions spare clutch cable but I also usually have a spare throttle cable although I have used the choke cable. Small thick plastic bottle of oil that I think originally contained some medicine and holds about two thirds of a pint.

Always did use the headlamp shell as storage for spare bulbs until fitted handlebar fairing.

When I first started riding the Matchless up and down to London all I had was a couple of adjustable "King Dick" spanners, spark plug spanner and plug, Mole grips and pliers - and the small bottle of oil! Ahh, 20 and optimistic.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This is the cable kit that I carry. The tin is about 3 1/2" dia. and about an inch thick. It does the throttle, choke and front brake.
Cable kit.JPG
Unfortunately I wasn't carrying 10 metres of cable so I had to ride back to a garage when we had to replace 90% of Thrifty Peter's burnt out/melted loom at Vittel, en route to the Milan Jampot. They only had blue which made things a bit tricky and not having any new connectors we had to leave a tail on each of the old connectors and twist the new wires to them. Incidentally, after rewiring we had to fit new plug caps as we couldn't get any sparks. The resistors in the plug caps had burnt out.
Italy Jampot 2009 (5) (640x429).jpg
P11 melted wiring jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat May 18, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'