024180 REAR GIRLING REPLICA SUSPENSION UNITS

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
SPRIDDLER

024180 REAR GIRLING REPLICA SUSPENSION UNITS

Post by SPRIDDLER »

For many years I've been helping a French chap in the Ardennes who doesn't speak any English with his singles (several Terrots, three AMC's, two Nortons and a Triumph). 'Thrifty Peter' and I first met him fifteen years ago when we rode into his village garage en route to an IJR.
He rides a lot with his wife on t' pillion and rebuilt the Jampots on his '56 G9 last year with help from a translated article in Christians Archive but he's still not happy with the handling. I'll suggest that he also checks for worn s/arm bushes, loose frame/engine studs, headstock adjustment etc.
Maybe his wife is a big unit and the club's Girlings would prevent his wife from bottoming out, but will the Girlings fit on his bike and improve the lady's derrière experience? (I know far less about twins than ladies' derrières).
Are sidecar springs available for Jampots? (That suggestion will need some discrete handling to avoid a matrimonial rumpus ;) ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Re: 024180 REAR GIRLING REPLICA SUSPENSION UNITS

Post by dave16mct »

The girlings with the bottom alloy clevis won't fit as they wouldn't be vertical. I think the later type without clevis would fit but I'm not sure of the wisdom of just bolting them on, but I have seen it lots of times. It would also be a cheap method of uprating the suspension. Surely the best way would be to fit the modern jampot inserts (Icon?) and new springs?
Cheers Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote:The girlings with the bottom alloy clevis won't fit as they wouldn't be vertical. I think the later type without clevis would fit but I'm not sure of the wisdom of just bolting them on, but I have seen it lots of times. It would also be a cheap method of uprating the suspension. Surely the best way would be to fit the modern jampot inserts (Icon?) and new springs?
Cheers Dave.
I suppose it must be strong enough Dave with the 3/8 bolt as that's how the Girlings fit at the bottom on the 63 on swingarm. It presumably would be fine for the top as well.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

The frame mountings are different top and bottom for Jampots so the earlier Girlings won't fit. Later Girlings might fit but all the loading would be on the mounting bolts and it would look pretty odd too.
The Ikon inserts are no longer available - Steve Surbey used to stock them but they don't appear on his website now.
I think Sidecar springs for Jampots were available once - I seem to remember they had a different colour paint on them but whether you could find a set now? I might, however, be mis-remembering.
I'd echo your thoughts on frame bolts, swingarm bushes etc and it might also be a case of better tyre choice and increased tyre pressures (and don't use the manual values with modern tyres) with a pillion.
Having said all that, in my experience, Jampot equipped bikes just don't handle as nicely as those with Girlings.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks chaps.
Having looked at the '56 Spares List, (which I should've done earlier - slap my wrist :oops:) I now see that a '56 Jampot unit has clevis fittings top and bottom whereas the 024180 Girlings only have a clevis at the bottom.

There are also sidecar springs 016061 shown as available at club spares and I guess that since no comments to the contrary are shown they will fit all Jampots.
Recon Jampots are also available at c£400 but he has already refurbished his, hopefully with competence.

As Dave and Reynard have mentioned the Girling units would look strange as they won't be vertical when fitted. Furthermore I'd be concerned that since the forces on the lugs will be at a slight angle there will be a risk of straining the clevises and the internals in spite of the 'flexible' rubber inserts in the lugs. Not something I'd be happy about suggesting to someone else, especially since I'm unable to be there to make a judgement.

I've already mentioned tyre pressures to him. He's President of the Club Motos Anciennes in the Ardennes and does a heck of a lot of miles with a very active group on various old bikes so they all have a fair bit of experience.

He hasn't explained exactly what is the handling issue and just asked about replacements but I get the impression it's when two up so I'll try to get more detailed info.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

A popular mod on 56 trial machines was to bolt eyebolt Girlings to the outside mountings of the Jampot frames. I've a set of sidecar springs for Jampots Nev that I'm unlikely to use.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Ikon web site Daventry, insert's at £ 300.0 a pop,
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:I've a set of sidecar springs for Jampots Nev that I'm unlikely to use.
Thanks Rob. I've PM'd you.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

bitza wrote:Ikon web site Daventry, insert's at £ 300.0 a pop,
Hmm, thanks, and they say 'designed for the budget conscious'.I guess 300 quid for a new pair is reasonable.
I can't see any tech info confirming that there are clevises at both ends.

https://ikonshocks.co.uk/76-series-shock-absorbers/
bitza

Post by bitza »

The ikon units fit inside the jampots, fairly easy to do, fitted them to my g9 53 model. Got mine through Hughie Hancox, but he past away 2011. Well respected triumph guru.