G9 carb

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
mikeydpippin

G9 carb

Post by mikeydpippin »

Interested to see peoples thoughts on carb replacement or renovation.
I have a 1953 G9 the carb is an Amal 76ag 1a not used for many a year.
Do I replace all gaskets slides etc with the kit
Or get a replacement carb, if so which carb would be the best replacement.
Many Thanks
Mike
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Re: G9 carb

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well, as I've dropped in here after cutting my grass...….
Depends how worn the carb is.
I'd get a relatively inexpensive service kit and new needle and main jet and try it before splashing out on a replacement. After all there's no rush during the lockdown.
If I was replacing I'd go for a Monobloc, partly for the aesthetics. Concentrics always look to me like carbs for Jap bikes, my old Villiers engines or lawn mowers.

P.S. I'm out of my comfort zone with twins but the singles changed to Monobloc in '55 so I'd look up the Owners Manual for a '55 G9 for settings unless someone who know what they're talking about comes along.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

The 76 is a lot easier to fit on the manifold with the forward sloping downtube under the seat, but a Monobloc is, I reckon, a better carb for not having the perpetual risk of drip drip drip from the banjo joint under the float chamber, and for having a better range of adjustment.
On my '54, with sloping tube, I use a 376 Monobloc, with jets and settings as per '55 like Spriddler suggests, and it's fine. The fiddly bit is getting the thing on and off. Some people find you have to use bolts, not studs (or one bolt anyway), to get the wiggle room required. Air filter fitment is another thing altogether though . . . not easy at all. I don't have.
In terms of costs, the Monobloc option is usually cheaper than a refurb of the Type 76 (Surrey Cycles are good though, should you want to retain it), although always more expensive than a concentric. But I don't think (from faint memory of trying it one time) that a 626 will go on.
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

I have been thinking about putting a monobloc on my 53 G9 but dithering for the reasons mentioned by
Groily. However after fitting one to my G3 (see my post of Wednesday) I will go for it. So I will be watching with interest Mike.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Here's mine. Dirty old beast, and ignore any mods/bodges (eg bronze ring up top which I made to sort out long-ago stripped thread, slightly manky throttle cable outer and plain nasty tank mounting stud on that corner!).
As you can see, a tight fit. I have in fact managed with studs, and nuts that really are flush with the ends thereof - but without a thick heatproof washer (if there's meant to be one). Just flexoid paper. Has worked fine for years ,
376 on Mod 20.jpg
although at one point I did use its original Type 76 - until I got sick of the drip drip drip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Many Thanks Groily think I will go down the Monobloc 376 route, One drip on the bike will be enough 🤪😜
I have contacted Surrey cycles
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

mikeydpippin wrote:Many Thanks Groily think I will go down the Monobloc 376 route, One drip on the bike will be enough 🤪😜
I have contacted Surrey cycles
Club are cheaper than Surrey cycles for carbs.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Rob 👍
Would that be 1” or 1 1/16 ?
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

53 would be 1" you'd probably be ok to have it jetted same as a 55 model to start of with.
Groily

Post by Groily »

carb data M20.jpg
As here, is what I did, Neill's book. An inch, yup, as for Type 76.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.