Saddle seat

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Saddle seat

Post by Oggers »

Another hare set running for you all to chase. I prefer saddles - a single sprung - seat on old bikes rather than the dual seat. The 46 Ariel VB looks mighty fine with its Lycette, and on the 55 G9 I feel the aesthetics and the slight "bobber" look is quite pleasing. It looks like early model 20s had a single seat/saddle, and they look quite nice. As I have Jampots, I guess I'll have to limit the springing somewhat for fear of being bounced off!

Thoughts very welcome, how to retrofit?, frame parts required etc......
Duncan

Re: Saddle seat

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mark, there should be several threads covering this in the forum history, have you tried searching?
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Fisrt thing I did - there are indeed threads and info for other bikes, not much for 55 G9s - which as far as I can see have no lugs for a saddle.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

As you note those designed to accept a saddle have a tube fixing for a bolt to hold the spring welded to the frame, there was a period clamp/bracket that could be added to the frame on each side (this was a quiz picture many years ago) for those that did not have the tube, if you line it all up it shouldn't be too hard to either fabricate a clamp or weld a couple of vertical fixing tubes to the frame, the short pillion pad type springs should give you just enough movement with this setup. A clamp that straddles both frame tubes may be a more robust fixing than individual clamps by being less likely to rotate.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Yes - thinking of something like a clamp with some appendix to fix the bolt for the springs. What happens at the front? Does it just rest on the frame?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

At the front, the original saddle hinged on a boss in the frame. At least you have a cutaway at the back of the tank where it will fit.
Dave.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

The trials models continued with a saddle. Different frame and tank but might be worth having a look how they did it.
Stan
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I think the last year the front boss was on the frame was 1953-4 certainly not 1955.
Roy