Tools for removal of swinging arm

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
John D

Post by John D »

Help, I need to split the swinging arm on my 55 model 20 so that the frame can be repainted and worn bushes replaced.
Could anyone lend me the drift/anvil or similar means they've made for removing the tube and bearings. I'm in mid Cornwall and having difficulty making up the tools. I'd pay postage both ways.
I was hoping to do the job 22 Feb on so that I could send bits for painting.
john kitchen

Post by john kitchen »

Hi John,
I`ve just removed the swinging arm on my G9.
I put the frame on its side and supported it with blocks of wood and used an old half inch drive socket with a shoulder on it as a drift.
It needed some heat from a blow lamp to get it moving.
I know it seems a brutal way to treat a socket but to buy a socket for the job would be cheeper than two lots of postage and you could get on with the job right away.

Regards

John.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Nothing about any special tools in the workshop manual that I have, one point to remember is don't try to remove the cotter pins, simply slacken off the nuts, tap them back then the sleeve should come out without too much effort. If the sleeve is worn, especially on the drive side where the lube doesn't always get to them you may find its only a new sleeve needed,that's what I found with mine.

MikeM.
John D

Post by John D »

Thanks for both of the replies. There's always another way isn't there. I'll give your suggestions a try now that I know others have succeeded.
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

How about taking the lot to your local engineering shop and having it pressed out - that`s the easiest way
jmbradford

Post by jmbradford »

If you find that belting it with a hammer is not getting very far then try making a puller from the fork leg tool , with the help of a few spacers it should start to move.
I also found that the puller/press method was the only way of moving the bushes so that the side clearance was correct.