Exploded diagram

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
nitmoi

Exploded diagram

Post by nitmoi »

Has anyone a diagram of the frame and associated cycle parts to share?

I have virtually every pic and book off the net and none of them show which bolts go where and in what order.

Am I going to be in luck?
GOLDSTAR

Exploded diagram

Post by GOLDSTAR »

do'nt thing there is one , when I built my bitsa it was a case of suck it and see, did,nt really find it to difficult to identify which bolt fitted where, just patience? mine is a single in an earlier twin frame so even more confusing. kind regards
dave16mct

Exploded diagram

Post by dave16mct »

Chris, tell us a bit more about the bike. What year, model , where you're up to with it etc. Do you have the correct parts list for that year?
Rob Harknett

Exploded diagram

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't just look at pictures, you also need to read. If you want the fix a certain part. like engine bolts, look first in the parts list, note the pt. no's, now look for the pt no's on pictures.
nitmoi

Exploded diagram

Post by nitmoi »

Its a 1957 G11 but appears to be 1958 spec with alloy primary chaincase.

I cross referenced the parts list the workshop manual and the price list with the bits in the boxes jars and tins. There are parts mentioned with no pictures. The one that has had me confused is the nut on the shock top bolts no pic anywhere. Found that this strange top hat looking thing fits into the rear mud guard. I am concerned that I'm not going to have to pull it all apart to put something in that I find at the bottom of a box.

Thanks for your suggestions, its going quite well that why I am worrying!

Perhaps I'll draw one, but I just don't get the time!
dave16mct

Exploded diagram

Post by dave16mct »

If it was registered from september 57 onwards it would be a 58 model. That sounds like the correct nut for the top mounting (inside the mudguard into the lifting handle recess) Theres also one in the bottom inside the rubber bush. Dave
Rob Harknett

Exploded diagram

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not 1958 the 1958 model year started production Sept 1st 1957, ( the 1958 models were not ready on day one ) They were hopefully ready for the London motor cycle show held at Earls Court about the end of October, and were available from that date. so only expect to find e.g a 1958 model registered after the London Show date say Nov 1957 onwards.
I believe you are still NOT looking for fittings in the correct place, you asked for a frame diagram to show fittings but you need to look elsewhere, like I said read the parts list, bolt engine look on engine diagram not frame, bolt suspension, look on suspension diagrame, bolt mudguard, look at mudguard diagram, and so on then you will find these parts pictured. In the frame dia only bolts that bolt the frame are shown, not bolts that bolt other parts to the frame.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 20 Aug 2012 11:49:50 PM
nitmoi

Exploded diagram

Post by nitmoi »

Thanks Dave - The engine has 57 stamped on it. Perhaps it is an upgrade or perhaps it is a very early registered model. Rob - Thanks for you suggestions re. looking at the mudguard suspension etc. sections. I take your point, this is what I do, the items are there some are numbered then not listed. There is no diagram showing in what order the bits go together. There are spacers that do not get a mention only a part no. on the diagram. That is why an exploded diagram would be so helpful.
Rob Harknett

Exploded diagram

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes its not that easy, as not evey single part is shown, and drawn to fit on a page not really in correct order. They certainly no need to show every 1/4"26 tpi nut or what ever size. Do it bit by bit and ask when you get stuck. I believe your bike engine has 57 on it and the bike registered Sept 1957, that actualy makes it quite a late 57, unless the bike was in a shop quite some time before it was sold. An early 1957 could had been registered after the London bike show, Nov 1956 onwards.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 21 Aug 2012 5:29:02 PM
nitmoi

Exploded diagram

Post by nitmoi »

Its the alloy chaincase that appears to be 58 onwards. Perhaps the engine was built earlier. It doesn't matter, might even be a new engine!