Wiring Harness cable diagram (not wiring)

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
nitmoi

Post by nitmoi »

What am I on about!

Well...... I want to make the harness myself and wanted to know whether there was a cutting list available for the G11. showing the colours and lengths and where the connectors got etc.

There must have been one somewhere!
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

quote: What am I on about!

.......'fraid I can't answer that one!

But, your owners manual cable diagram should give you the correct cable colours and also the position of any connectors, other than the ones at the ends.

Re cutting to the correct length of each cable before you bind into a harness, I recon you will run into big problems of finding some are a bit short of where they are to terminate, while the other end will be in excess.
Why not lay the cables on the frame with excess at each end, then bind it all into a harness then trim each end off to the correct termination length as you go?
I have never seen reference to cable lengths for individual harnesses. I suspect the originals would have been made in the factory to cut lengths, but then fitted onto a jig to get the correct lengths at each end and 'Y' junctions, but I am only summarising here.
There is a bloke on this forum who makes harness's to sell, so he may divulge the secrets!
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

bob

Post by bob »

I,ve made 1 for each of my bikes ,
added in the bits I proposed to fit on the wiring diagram , ( boyer ignition , fuses , indicators etc )
then loose laiid the cables onto the frame , sticky tape every now and then to hold in place . leave plenty at all ends ( I left a good 6" , but that was probably excessive ) , make sure your happy , check the run again , lock to lock , front suspension compressed etc ,
I sleeved up in sections on the bike ,then off the bike dismantled and sleeeve up the rest .
Where I could I soldered connections and end fittings , and checked for continuity as I went along .
Worked fine for me .
and I still had some hair left on my head after , although there were lots of moments of head scratching
Vehicle wiring products have all the cable , connectors , sleeving etc .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Factory probably had a cutting list but nerver told us.
Why not start at the horn button, switch and ampmeter, fit all cables to these items, dont just lay them on the bike, run them along the bike exactly where they need to go, also fit sleeving when you get to fit the other end leave enough the remake a future joint. Do turn the steering as wires may tighten a full lock left or right, next do the headlamp , side lamp and dip switch, then horn & brake light, Thats if its mag ingEdited by - Rob Harknett on 21 Aug 2012 5:18:29 PM
bob

Post by bob »

Factory probably , left it all up to a harness supplier ,
I cannot see them being bothered with making them in house .
Just lent them a bike , and told them to wire it up , then just received finished harnesses from them as production needed .
Only the harness supplier would have known the individual cable lengths .
clive

Post by clive »

if its a G11CS with the QD headlight treble check the connections in the socket before you make them. Oh the trouble I had!!!!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Well Clive, Is the G11CS coming to Kelso then ?
Sam
clive

Post by clive »

DVLA have still failed to register it. Its been going on for about 3 months and they have promised to get papers to me just after the Jampot! So I guess its the Alternative in Oxford now for its first rally.Edited by - clive on 21 Aug 2012 9:13:36 PM
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
nitmoi

Post by nitmoi »

Thanks folks, thats pretty much as I expected. I wish I still had the old harness but its gone long ago.
I'm sure I'll manage - usually do, but I was hoping for a bit of a break!