600 Twin Problems

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
MartinAmes

Re: 600 Twin Problems

Post by MartinAmes »

Post by 1608 »

Kevin, if you are suggesting that the -10 thou shells are machined larger ( opened up ) then I don't believe this is possible. You will simply be removing the white metal or bearing material from the shell. Somebody with far better engineering experience than me will no doubt have better some advice, but I shouldn't think it too difficult to source some new shells from somewhere other than the club spares. I haven't found the club spares very helpful of late I'm afraid.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

All of the above buy from the club so will not be able to help?
Roy
kbs1240462

Post by kbs1240462 »

Hey ho!!

Called the normal suspects today and it looks like 10 thou' shells are currently not available!! Talked to a helpful guy at Andrews who suggested I get 20 thou' shells opened out to 10 thou' - anyone have any experience of going down this route?

Thanks,

Kevin
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Everyone runs out of twin bearing shells so often , all at the same time - it happens every year or so it seams
Clearly they are all sourced by a single order from one of the suppliers
Isn't it about time that the order size was increased .
Perhaps the club should place a bigger order , I suspect that they only hold a minimum stock

Stock control really should not be a problem , about time someone sorted this out !
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

"Stock control really should not be a problem , about time someone sorted this out !"

Oh lord, another expert! :headbang:

You're welcome to give it a try Peter, you won't find it as easy as you're implying.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Rob ,
i'm not saying it's easy , but that's why i'm not running the spares scheme .
Perhaps i'm underestimating the problem but if it takes 10 weeks to get new stock then we should be ordering when the stock level get to 12 weeks x average weekly sales in the previous year point .

Of course this only works if the Club actually places the orders , and does not just but from a third party where stock levels are unknown

I'm only an engineer and not a store man but do order prototype parts on a regular basis from suppliers and understand that there is a lead time to manufacture spares
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Stock levels are reviewed weekly in line with good inventory management practices and we try to keep 3 - 6 months stock according to movement pattern and supplier leadtime.
Sometimes suppliers change leadtime without prior warning or want a larger volume to make manufacture more cost effective (read profitable for them) and effectively "hold us to ransom". We even have scenarios where suppliers accept an order and then inform us that they can't get the raw material or allocate production time until months ahead. For example, at the present time there is a shortage of the stock material used to make fork legs (due to production issues at the rolling mill) and accordingly the market demand has driven the price up by 1000%. The manufacturer is therefore reluctant to buy the material in as the price will inevitably fall as more becomes freely available and I don't imagine that anyone would want to buy the fork legs at what would be a very inflated price.
Getting parts for machines 50 years old (or more) is not easy as there are not that many suppliers out there willing to manufacture in smaller batches and at economic prices.
Some of the tooling used to make the parts is now also obsolete and suffers frequent breakdowns requiring regular maintenance.
I wish it were just as easy as ordering within leadtime and getting the supplies on time. But the fact is that it isn't and hence parts are sometimes out of stock or worse still - just not available any more.
If anyone has a good crystal ball that they could loan us ...................!
Last edited by Stuoyb on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Groily

Post by Groily »

The last pair of -10 mains I got came from British Only in Austria - but I think their stock is also exhausted now. Worth a try though maybe, just in case.
Points very well made re problems with sourcing parts, being held to ransom etc - it's a universal problem for clubs.
However, hint hint - hopefully it isn't stopping us getting the stock of std big end shells suitably chamfered to supply with the new 650 cranks as they arrive? Because whatever anyone might think, stake their life on etc etc, stock shells will not go on perfect new radii because their chamfer is not per the original part! This I know, from having installed the first prototype crank in my Mod 31, and T&L Engineering would confirm, having dynamically balanced it and seen all the bits. Cheers, Bill
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Shells are all sorted for the new cranks.