Frame number

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Brittany Biker Breaks

Frame number

Post by Brittany Biker Breaks »

I've recently acquired a very nice G11 and, since I live in France, I need to register it as a "moto collection" which requires a photo of the engine and frame numbers. Engine number, no problem, but as the frame appears to have been powder coated at some time I can't find the frame number and don't know where to start looking for it. Any suggestions ?
clive

Re: Frame number

Post by clive »

I think it will depend on the year do you know when it was made?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Brittany Biker Breaks

Post by Brittany Biker Breaks »

Hi Clive - it's a 1957 model.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If it really is 1957, which the frame number will confirm, look on the right hand side just above the oil tank/below the front seat fitting.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Hello Les,
You will find the frame number stamped into the metal of the off-side of the front down tube just below the brazed lug of the steering head. It will begin with the letter A followed by five digits, as on my 1958 G11.
I hope your machine gives you as much pleasurable riding as mine has given me!
Bon soir, dormez bien, meilleurs veux.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

58 parts list says the same as I stated for 57 Malcolm.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Hello Rob,
Yes, I agree with you that the 1958 Spares list on Page 2, under item (5) Identity locates the frame number "stamped
on the right-hand side of the frame lug that is below the saddle". However, I assure you that on my G11 the frame number is stamped on the front down tube as described in my previous answer. A previously owned AJS M30 of 1957 vintage also had the number stamped below the steering head, so the Spares List is wrong in this instance (and in other instances!).
Best regards.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Seems they never bothered to update the page Malcolm. I was looking at parts lists, to see if I could discover when the number moved to the front position. I thought it was when they changed from the single front down tube.
clive

Post by clive »

My 58 Frame for the G1CS has a single downtube frame but the number is as described by Malleon. Interestingly when the frame number was under the saddle on the frame lug the numbers were horizontal and only numbers but could only be read one way. On my G11 the numbers are vertical and since they can all be read upside down 1s 8s 9s and 6s the letter A ensures you read it the correct way up. I had to point this to the DVLA officer during inspection as he studiously wrote the number from the wrong side and hence upside down.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

Rob Harknett wrote:Seems they never bothered to update the page Malcolm. I was looking at parts lists, to see if I could discover when the number moved to the front position. I thought it was when they changed from the single front down tube.
It would be interesting to know when exactly they did make this change. My 1948 frame has the frame number under the saddle. I think my friends 1954 G80 also has the frame number there. So any idea what year the change was made 9 and why)?