Exhaust valve seat again G11CS

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
SPRIDDLER

Re: Exhaust valve seat again G11CS

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Samuel wrote:Rather than inflict one bodge to fix the effects of another............
Nah, stick with what you're good at, Clive.
:rofl:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Hi Clive
The shape on the low and high Pistons are the same, but the distance from the top edge to the first Ring Groove is on the 7.5 Piston 4mm, and on the 8.5 Piston it is 5.3mm, sorry about the metric. On my G11CS the timing is 3/8mm before top , it has the 8.5 pistons mounted, and runs very smooth.
Best regards
Poul Hansen
Denmark
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

ajsph wrote:Hi Clive
The shape on the low and high Pistons are the same, but the distance from the top edge to the first Ring Groove is on the 7.5 Piston 4mm, and on the 8.5 Piston it is 5.3mm, sorry about the metric. On my G11CS the timing is 3/8mm before top , it has the 8.5 pistons mounted, and runs very smooth.
Best regards
Poul Hansen
Denmark
3/8 mm, Poul, or 3/8 inch ??
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

3/8 inch
Poul
clive

Post by clive »

All very helpful thanks, (even Spriddlers confidence in my bodgery!). I am currently building a 500 single from bits which will be pure bodgery and have threatened an article or two on the progress. Meanwhile on the twin I will certainly check out the distance from the top ring to the edge thanks for that Poul. Good point Les about the tappet adjustment as I am currently close to full adjustment. I feel a deep thinking period coming on, especially since I am currently hobbling around having taken a tumble off a H...a whilst green laning today, unfortunately I parted company from said bike but my foot and ankle did not as stuck against the side of the track. Huge swelling currently being treated with medicinal whisky. :beer:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

image.jpg
Was this you just before the fall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

I didn't realise you had it on camera Roy. Actually i am threatened with a youtube version, if it was recorded I will post the link!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Clive. I was checking out valve seat replacement and it's not as expensive as you think...take a look at the SRM price list. I would not hesitate in sending my heads off and get them done. This would end all the thinking and worry and you'll have a good engine again without any fuss or bother...hardest thing will be finding the right size cardboard box and taking it down to the post office....ignore the cost....you CAN afford it....ATB....Les
http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/engine-a ... -head-work
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

I think you should be tempted by this Clive. They even have a collection service!
http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/arrange-collection
cheers
Sam
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If a gasket sample is available, to make another gasket or compression plate. With a scanner/printer print a copy, stick it on the alloy or gasket material with paper gum glue, to get shape and hole positions correct, soak off paper copy when made. Also, would valve end caps give additional tappet adjustment? If new valve seats are to be fitted, the head could be made suitable for non leaded fuel.