Model 30 chain case

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
John Grew

Model 30 chain case

Post by John Grew »

I am slowly getting to grips with the pile of bits that once was a 1957 AJS M30 600 twin. It would seem that 1957 was the last year that a `tin` chain case was used. Will an alloy one fit ?
clive

Re: Model 30 chain case

Post by clive »

no
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

no
Oh dear! but I have one on my 1957 600, with 1956 cases, should I change it back?

The cases will fit but you need to mill back the crankcase at the inlet camshaft cover and make a support for the primary chain case centre bolt as none exists on the crankcases.

The 1957 pressed steel cases are one year only as they are designed for the AMC gearbox and are not always easy to find.
clive

Post by clive »

Duncan wrote: ...... you need to mill back the crankcase at the inlet camshaft cover and make a support for the primary chain case centre bolt as none exists on the crankcase
well if you are going to modify it..............................
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
kbs1240462

Post by kbs1240462 »

Hi fitted on my 57 engine - I lightly milled the alluminium off the back of the case with a router and a carbide bit - easy job.

Kevin
John Grew

Post by John Grew »

It is as they say ,a small world. I was at Shepton Auto Jumble yesterday and ask the very nice man on his AJS stall the same question. His reaction was unexpected. He had seen my question on this forum, and had asked his mate the question and I am guessing that it was you Duncan and you had left the stall a blink of an eye before I arrived. Well I now have the answer and I thank you all very much for taking the time to do so and I will now look out for one. My reason is simple, they look better.
Regards
John Grew
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John, I feel I need to set the record straight and issues a disclaimer that I am not associated with the said stall (rusty parts a speciality) at Shepton and any time that I spent there yesterday was purely to trade insults.

I am however pleased that we have been able to help you with a way ahead with your bike, when do you aim to be on the road?.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I was that very nice man and yes it was you Duncan Smith? And there was no rust on the stall it was in the back of the van Photos tomorrow.
Roy
John Grew

Post by John Grew »

Hi Roy and Duncan. Thank you both for your interest and answer and I am not bothered about rust, I have enough myself thank you. When will it be on the road, good question. It has just been set back a bit as the starter sprag clutch on my `modern` bike has just let go. It is a 1994 900 Triumph trophy that I bought new in 94. So far I have put 94.000 miles on it and was hoping to get 100.000 before anything major went wrong with it but sadly that is not to be. On this model it is engine out and strip just to get at the thing. I have just got the bits so that is my current job. Then there is the cracking coming from the steering head of my 1943 G3L and that will have to be dealt with before we are off to Normandy for D Day time. Now how did I ever fit work in?
John
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

John, I couldn't figure out how you didn't know Roy then it turns out there are now two John Grews in the club. The other has been a member since at least the '70s and belongs to the West Midland section.