Lever pivot effect on clutch action

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
silverspur

Lever pivot effect on clutch action

Post by silverspur »

I've recently bought a '56 M30 which came with an AMC gearbox and, it appears, a Burman five-spring clutch. I have no idea if this is a good or bad combination but I do know that the resulting clutch action is very heavy. I checked everything on this site about correcting it and have carried out them all with but minor improvement.

This post is about levers. Mine, I know are incorrect - they are 11/8" pivot centres whereas the original should be 7/8". I haven't changed them because, I thought, 'longer leverage, lighter action'. But someone mentioned in passing the other day that, in fact, a shorter the pivot centre gives better leverage and hence a lighter action.

Can anyone confirm that this is/is not the case? Thanks.
Mick D

Re: Lever pivot effect on clutch action

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The 7/8" fulcrum will give a lighter action but less cable movement is the pay back.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I was told the opposite, which works with other tools, crow bars whatever. The longer the leverage the lighter the action. Do the see saw test. A child at the end can balance an adult close to the centre, That's proof that cannot be denied. Less strength required with a bigger pivot centre.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

silverspur wrote:I've recently bought a '56 M30 which came with an AMC gearbox and, it appears, a Burman five-spring clutch. I have no idea if this is a good or bad combination but I do know that the resulting clutch action is very heavy. I checked everything on this site about correcting it and have carried out them all with but minor improvement.

This post is about levers. Mine, I know are incorrect - they are 11/8" pivot centres whereas the original should be 7/8". I haven't changed them because, I thought, 'longer leverage, lighter action'. But someone mentioned in passing the other day that, in fact, a shorter the pivot centre gives better leverage and hence a lighter action.

Can anyone confirm that this is/is not the case? Thanks.
7/8" pivot centres mean that the lever has to move further to give the same cable movement as 1 1/8" pivot centres giving more mechanical advantage hence less effort (but more travel) on the lever making the clutch feel lighter.
One of my bikes came with 7/8" lever mounts and 1 1/8" blades giving a heavy clutch and a misalignment of the cable at the lever making things even worse!

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Rob

I think you're wrong - to use your analogy the 1 1/8" lever moves the adult further from the fulcrum and now the child can no longer balance him.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have never tried the two Mick, a mate of mine searched ages for 1" pivot I believe, He claimed they needed far less strength to operate. If I have ever come across a " heavy clutch " it is usually found to be a combination of, lubrication of the cable AND thrust rod, thrust rod as they do tend to seize. Also no sharp bends in cables. A spray inside the gearbox on the clutch moving parts, with WD40 can also work wonders. Also for people with small hands. Put a chain split link on the handle bar lever bracket. This acts as a stop, so the lever is closer to the handlebars. This can also make a heavy clutch feel light, the person with small hands not having to use finger tips to pull with.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

On my front brake I tend to have that adjusted up with more slack than advised. So I get a better grip with my small hands. The brake seems very heavy if I try to pull it in with my finger tips.
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

7/8" centres is correct

Post by 1608 »

7/8" pivot to nipple is easier than 1" or 1-1/8". A simple analogy being thus:-
Try pulling a stubborn nail out of wood using a claw hammer and then do the same with a small piece of wood etc under the claw. Far less force is needed when the the pivot or axis is closer to the resistance. I'm sure this could be explained far better mathmatically or with a diagram, I'm not smart enough to try either.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Does the same apply when removing nails from children* or have I lost the plot along the way?

*Hypothetically speaking that is.