Removal of the Dynamo

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
David F

Removal of the Dynamo

Post by David F »

I have removed the strap over the dynamo but can't find anymore fixings ,do I need to remove the rh casing to access them?
Rob Harknett

Re: Removal of the Dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.04.16_23h32m44s_001_.png
Did you miss this in the workshop manual for your bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

The manual is not clear on this. Once you have loosened the strap you also need to remove the nut at the end of the draw stud. This should be a small sleeve nut sitting slightly proud of the timing side case. It's about the same level as the Dynamo and between and slightly behind the cover screws. You don't need to take the cover off. This sleeve nut is often subject to butchery as the stud is I think only 2ba and often pulls out of the Dynamo end plate. The bodgers amongst us then replace it with a slightly larger bolt.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

In the back of my mind there is the thought, maybe totally wrong, that the earlier engines didn't have the sleeve nut and the drilled-through timing cover. In an adjacent pigeon-hole in my head is the thought that those engines had a nut inside the timing chest to secure the dynamo.
A G11 should have the sleeve nut and draw stud. But if there isn't one, maybe the timing cover isn't drilled for one and there is something on the inside after all?
Parts list pictures for earlier engines compared to later ones don't clearly show any difference in timing cover apart from bulges on Ajays, but the hole for the dynamo stud isn't shown clearly or at all even in the later pix, eg of Twins from '55-'59. I was faintly hoping to see a visible difference in timing covers over the years to support the notion.
clive

Post by clive »

Groily wrote:In the back of my mind there is the thought, maybe totally wrong, that the earlier engines didn't have the sleeve nut and the drilled-through timing cover. In an adjacent pigeon-hole in my head is the thought that those engines had a nut inside the timing chest to secure the dynamo.
A G11 should have the sleeve nut and draw stud. But if there isn't one, maybe the timing cover isn't drilled for one and there is something on the inside after all?
Parts list pictures for earlier engines compared to later ones don't clearly show any difference in timing cover apart from bulges on Ajays, but the hole for the dynamo stud isn't shown clearly or at all even in the later pix, eg of Twins from '55-'59. I was faintly hoping to see a visible difference in timing covers over the years to support the notion.
The illustrations are not a safe route to check as I am sure you are aware. The 1950 twin spares list shows no draw stud. The 1951 list says the length of the stud increased from engine number 7000 onwards so looks like you are right Groily. As you say the G11 should have the draw stud.
clive
David F

Post by David F »

Thanks a torch and a bit of investigating this afternoon methinks cheers.
Groily

Post by Groily »

As you say Clive, yes indeed.
I'm not a great one for pix from manuals and part numbers and stuff, but was just trying to figure out whether I was dreaming or not by a quick look-see.
If an early cover would attach itself to a later engine somehow over the years, could just be what's happened - if there really is no visible external fastener.
Not sure what effect if any that might have on the prv arrangement - but the early cover would have the uncontained spring going into the timing cover I think unless there is 'early early' and just plain 'early'. Not sure on the G11 in question whether the prv would be captive, or the earlier loose spring sort (or even on the oil pump carrier plate). So many minor changes - all clearly done to confuse us half a century after the event!
clive

Post by clive »

My 58 G11 had no pressure relief valve at all. Now fitted with the later one and later oil filter. You never can tell what a previous owner has been up to!
clive
David F

Post by David F »

Thanks guys found it ,the clue came in Clive's post replacing the bolt with a bigger one well yes it had with an Allen key bolt ,pretty obvious when you know what your looking for 👍