Please help me Identify Parts

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Rob Harknett

Re: Please help me Identify Parts

Post by Rob Harknett »

A mixture of years and models. engine number appears odd. Looks like 57/G11 03509 not aware of a number starting zero. C= competition on the frame number, looks like it has a twin head steady, so a comp twin. From what is documented for compt. frame numbers, a guess would be it about 1959. You may as well forget about making an original bike with the parts you have. Build it as the last owner did as a comp special. Using parts it already has. Has the bike got an old reg. no. on it? If so it may give a clue as to when the bike was built as a special. It may be a good idea to join the club, as you may run out of free use time on the forum before you complete your project.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Best guess would be a 1957-59 competition bike (CS) had an engine failure and was replaced with a standard roadster engine from a 1957 G11 Matchless. The engine number may have been altered to match what was on the log book (US title).

If it was mine I would go with the frame and rebuild it as a CS (offroad) comp bike.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Although I did not recall engine numbers starting with a zero, in fact some did. So if the number is really what it appears 57/G11 03509 then its OK but not comp, I believe G11 CS was introduced Aug 1958. C8640 would be 59. I am sure all road models AJS & Matchless shared the same numbers series, like wise comp models shared the comp series of numbers. If AMC gave the start number for just one 1959 comp model, there's no need to repeat that info for every comp model for 1959. ( Sortable excel files make this easier to discover ) However only factory records would show which marque and model a particular number was used for. I think a lot of owners that have correct machines, would be surprised if they used the dating service to discover just what they have really got. I know I have a 55 G3/LS in a twin frame, which could check out to be originally used for an AJS twin.
matchless

Post by matchless »

Hi,
It looks like you have a compy twin front downtube assy and a standard road rear loop assy. The rear shocks should be the Girling type with the lower alloy clevis (for 1957). The engine number indicates that it is for a standard road bike (not compy CS or CSR). The oil tank is from a single as there are no provisions for the twin heat shield. The side stand looks strange and the folding footrest pegs are from a much later model.
All the parts look to be from various year models, quite a common practice and therefore could be considered a (non-concourse) period machine.
Regards............David