1958 30CS Exhaust

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Peter Morris

Re: 1958 30CS Exhaust

Post by Peter Morris »

I guess so Clive, I have just got soaked going to check, but neither of my footrests have the scallop. I looked at them on dismantling the bike and saw they were the same and not 'handed', but doubted myself when you mentioned the scallop, are both of yours scalloped?

Not seen the Coopers Advert before, thanks for uploading, I've saved it.
clive

Post by clive »

I will have to check, its at the back of the garage for the winter, but I intend to get it back in action over the next few days so will report when I have pulled it out and maybe take some photos.

Its worth the effort Peter, I rode AMC singles for 30 years distaining the twins as too much trouble. The G11CS changed my mind and its now my favourite although I do still have 3 singles. Maybe it will be knocked off the pedestal by the G15mk2 I am currently working on!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I prefer twins Clive.

I have a G3C but it's a bit of a handful (gearing) on the road, riding it to the Ardingly show (13 miles) is MORE than enough, it's a bit of a bone shaker

I like the ride of my '66 31CSR, but by FAR my favourite bike is the G15CS, they are different gear imho, only equalled by Ray W's G15/45 which I was lucky enough to have a go on at a recent rally.... might change my mind when the 30CS is done, but I can't see it.

I am sure you'll love the G15 Mk2.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Another PITA with the Armours exhaust.

I have sent the short pipe to my mate up the road to get an inch or so welded onto the exhaust port end, so all will be good re the fit. Unfortunately, although the long pipe fits in tight and looks the part, there isn't room to fit the oil pipes to the engine.

I don't see how the banjo can possibly fit other than pointing upwards.

Don't think I'm missing a trick, guessing the pipe is even more crap than I thought!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Came with long copper pipes, no chance of them fitting with this exhaust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Peter , its so clean already . shall we give you the restoration trophy now !
Looks ready go , and im sure eventually you will resolve the issues

my new exh for 1946 G80 certainly is a different fit , actually better that the one they supplied in 1979
this time it didnt need tweeking , bt of course the brackets now dont fit
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The front one does go forward Peter and also slightly upwards and the copper pipe has a 180 bend in it to return it back towards the tank, it runs very close to the crankcasing.
clive

Post by clive »

With that up and over the footrest exhaust pipe i would also check there is room for pipes between the exhaust and engine plate under the gearbox. Even with the straight exhaust pipe i struggled to get my oil pipes through. If you go back to the Coopers photo you will see the the banjo goes down at about 7.30 then the oil pipe comes out just below but in front of the timing cover before swooping back. I managed that part but then had a spaghetti of the two oil pipes to get them under the gearbox. My problem was i bought new pipe and was trying to bend it during a freezing winter in an unheated garage. Hard to get it hot enough to anneal it. Your pipes look like they are from a standard twin.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Yes there is not much space between the Exhaust and the oil pipes.
Poul
20200315_103423.jpg
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Peter Morris wrote:... and the new one, much neater.... shame about the short pipe!
Hi Peter, off at a tangent, is that an anti porosity red treatment/paint that you have used inside the timing cover?