Electronic ignition Vs magneto

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
AJSBSA

Post by AJSBSA »

I had my SR1 mag reconditioned by Mick Hall at FTW motorcycles (tel 0114 2336269) in May 96 and this machine 1955 AJS 18S has been in daily use ever since. My bike always starts first or second kick and apart from changing the points once a year the mag has had no maintenance.
I would recommend an electronic voltage regulator (FTW again) I use a 6v halogen head light bulb and find staying with 6v not too bad.
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Stuart,
I guess it has a bit to do with approach to the problem: Do you want to try and make the most of the original design by optimizing the parts involved or do you want to take full advantage of the progess that admittedly has taken place especially in the field of electronics and electrical systems? The first solution will work fine if you do or can get the job done properly, the second is also a possibility giving you the advantage of modern equipment and it can be done even without loss of original appearance.
There is a whole trade out there waiting to supply what you need, so just make your choice.

Regards,
Tom M. (TM)

TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Michael Starr.

Post by Michael Starr. »

You know, this is an interesting debate and I wonder how many people out there have converted to electronic ignition and are happy with it? I'm also entirely satisfied with my old mag, and if there's one thing that puts me off changing to electronic it's the comment by a mag rebuilder (Tony Stairs) who says he spends half his time converting electronic BACK to magneto because of problems. Perhaps it depends whose conversion kit you use?

Post by 9776 »

A well rebuilt magneto needs one bit of wire to each spark plug and nothing else to go wrong. I have had to lend my battery to friends with Boyer ignition that will not start on a low battery. My machines both have magnetos and are reliable and start easily. I also use 6 volt halogen lights which are pretty good with a modern reflector. I do use a Ktec regulator which is totally hidden. Why change?
matchlessman

Post by matchlessman »

I have ridden a G12 before and after electronic conversion and the smoothness of power delivery was much improved, right through the rev range. However I am still running a mag on my G11, as that seems to produce good power from zero to excess rpm as it is. It all depends on lots of factors, engine design, riding style state of tune etc etc.. try and find somebody to let you have a go - at the Jampot?

I would definitely recommend a 12v conversion on the dyno tho. I run a 65 watt halogen headlight no problem. The standard dyno can just about produce 10 amps, at 6 volt that's 60 watts (absolute max reliably) however at 12 volt thats 120 watts (well over 100 safely). You need to allow a good margin of excess to cover charging the battery, tail light, brake light, waiting in traffic etc. I can get full charge with the lights on at about 35 mph, on 6 volt it was about 30 mph (top gear). I expect to lose a little in longevity - I anticipate it'll all wear out in 10 instead of 12 years. No difference externally.