Oh no - I forgot to open my anti sumping tap!!

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
geechr

Post by geechr »

It's happened, something I thought I would never forget to do. I went out for a run on my 57 G11 today and was distracted whilst starting the bike so forgot to open the anti wet sumping tap. The tap had been fitted by a previous owner and I have never quite found the time to link it to the magneto...

After about 3 miles the bike lost power - I pulled the clutch in and coasted to a stop. I looked down and immediately realised what I had done. Perhaps foolishly I opened the tap, started the engine and checked for oil returning to the oil tank. When I saw flow I rode home slowly. The engine appeared to run a little rougher but nothing terminal.

I have drained the engine of oil and inspected the filters. There is some metal on the magnetic and felt filter but not any greater than at the last oil change. I am assuming the worse and am building myself up for a complete engine strip. Advice (and commiserations) would be gratefully accepted.

Perhaps I should start a small and exclusive club of folks who also made the same mistake....

Chris Gee
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

You have my commiserations. Now remove the tap and chuck it in the bin. Live with a spot of wet sumping. It's a sight less harmful than starving you engine of oil.
R J Rawle
itma

Post by itma »

I'm saying nothing.

[in any case I've said it all before]
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

quote:
I'm saying nothing.

[in any case I've said it all before]

Wonder of wonders.
Chemists do it with test tubes
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Roller and ball bearings could well have survived your little stunt, as they need less oil with less bearing surfaces to lubricate. Bushings like in conrods or piston and cylinder walls don't like direct metal to metal contact, the will immediate start interfusion! But what is there to loose? Change the oil a couple of times and see how the engine behaves. If a total rebuild is coming up a few runs will not change that. If on the other hand you want to be sure not to destroy anything further, at total strip down is required. Good luck and lets hear how it goes.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Chris, I did this myself on a G9 at 5 am on the coast to coast run. It ran for 11 miles before it lost power. It used loads of oil in the next 100 miles, then none for 100 miles and then loads. To cut a long story short, it took 1000 miles until the offside big end went. the relevant crank journal had to be metal srayed back up and all three were then ground to -.010. It was opened up again after a piston nipping, 1500 miles later and the metal sprayed journal was like new. So at worst case, a bit of trouble and expense but nothing too drastic in my instance.
Eric

Post by Eric »

To carry on running just to see what happens could mean that you find the next thing is a broken crank that throws one of the the rods through the crankcase not a good idea in my opinion.

Please don't experiment with what happens next start stripping the engine down ASAP you may even enjoy it.
geechr

Post by geechr »

geechr

Post by geechr »

Thanks for the advice. I think the safest option is to strip the engine down and find out what happened. I've been looking for an excuse to take it to pieces!
owen

Post by owen »

My new (to me)Matchless was started at the dealer,Within 5 seconds i pointed out that perhaps the said tap should be opened or turn the bike off quickly.Which then put me into a quandrie do i buy or not,It seems ok