Oh no - I forgot to open my anti sumping tap!!

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

Then there was the story of Blackburn Aircraft supplying a prototype built for the Japanese Navy at their request (the T7B or 3MR4). They were happy with it and decided to manufacture it in Japan as per the agreement with Blackburn. Blackburn had positioned the handle for the starting magneto and oil tap so that they interfered with each other--you could not turn the magneto to run the engine without first turning on the oil. The inscrutable Mitsubishi engineers could not see why this was done an thought it was just poor design and failed to consult Blackburn on it, so the two were moved apart in the production aircraft.
The inevitable happened and resulted in at least one pilot ending upside down in a paddy field when his engine seized.
Perhaps the Japanese are just as scrutable as the rest of us after all.
R J Rawle

Post by 1608 »

I prefer not to put such an important feature in the tust of old bike electrics. I am a member of this highly prestigious and elite club that forgot to turn 'The Tap' on once, and never again. Instead of going for a little brass and unobtrusive little tap to be a slave to appearances, I fitted a leaver valve as used in plumbing. The coloured leaver protrudes sufficiently to interfere with the kick-start travel. I think Blackburns got it right.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

I too, am guilty of the afore mentioned crime! That was 2000 miles ago-apart from scored barrels I seem to have got away with it! I will, however fit an earth wire to the sumping switch so that when OFF, the magneto will be earthed !!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Wavy

Post by Wavy »

Going back to engine damage, how much damage could be done if the petrol was swiched off and the bike run with the oil tap closed until it starved of fuel?

Post by 1608 »

Quite a bit I imagine!
itma

Post by itma »

send us the pics when you find out?
Wavy

Post by Wavy »

It hasn´t happened to me, I just had an idea about a tap design!
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

quote:
he's lucky he's only got an inner idiot to deal with, he should meet some of the demons that sit on my shoulders ..........

it works for me, no possible problems of a damaged engine. some people do not know of the existence of these valve/switches, better to let them know than not, didnt know they were called dove switches though.
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

They are made by Andrew Dove who advertises in Jampot
Wavy

Post by Wavy »

Did heavyweight singles wet sump from new or is it caused by wear in the housing?