Oiling Problem

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
freddie 136

Oiling Problem

Post by freddie 136 »

Hi,I have just had my engine refurbished,new bearings,pistons,and a 20 thou re bore, all done by a friend of mine who has been refurbing engines for years,after completing the rebuild the bike started first kick and ran for a couple of Min's, did this a few times on the back garden where my garage is,checked the oil flow back to the tank and to the tappets all seem o.k. took her out for a steady run but after fifteen miles the engine started to make a loud knock / clattery sound pulled the clutch in as i thought she had seized up, but no after a couple of kicks she started up again all though not as quite as she was at first, got the bike home,still had an oil return to the tank but no oil to the tappets. After letting her cool down over night i kicked her up this morning and she started o.k.checked that oil was being delivered to the tappets and it was o.k. took the screw out of the end of the pressure relief valve checked oil was coming from there and and it was, oil was also returning to the oil tank so took her out again and the same thing happened again after approx fifteen miles engine noise grew loud pulled clutch in,engine stooped,coasted to a stop, tried straight away to kick her up after third kick engine started all though it was a bit noisier, got her home and as before no oil feed to tappets the oil looked a bit thinner in the oil tank but oil was returning to the tank. The bike is a [G11] 600 twin and the oil i am using is Morris SAE 40 mono grade. Is it possible that the oil pressure drops so that it is in sufficient to push it up to the tappets, any help would be appreciated,thanks Fred.
kbs1240462

Re: Oiling Problem

Post by kbs1240462 »

Fred,

I experienced the same thing on my Model 30 a couple of weeks ago - although not a rebuild it had sat a number of years before I bought it about 10 months ago. It has been running fine and then I experienced almost the same as you - what did you trace it back to?

Kevin
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Are your sure you have the Oil Distributor fitted.
Poul
kbs1240462

Post by kbs1240462 »

Hi,

Yes oil distributer fitted and rotates as well. It is however scored on the outside diameter - possibly indicating oil starvation I would have thought?

Kevin