Will not Start

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
moley

Will not Start

Post by moley »

I just brought a bike, chap said mag had been rebuilt - which it was but with crap indian pickups which wore a groove around the slip ring and leavt a carbon trace all round the slip ring therefore it was misfiring all over the place but when you looked at the spark it was excellent !!
Stan Palmer

Will not Start

Post by Stan Palmer »

Just in time Moley, I was about to buy a pair of pick-ups for a K2F on ebay. Where do you get the good ones ?

Stan
petert120r

Will not Start

Post by petert120r »

Just come across this topic. I had something very similar with a G12 and a newly rebuilt mag. It turned out to be a faulty slip ring (a duff batch, apparently) causing arcing - the test is to remove one plug lead and then try and start it. If it runs on one pot then that's the cause.

Stan, I got my pick-ups from APL Magnetos.
moley

Will not Start

Post by moley »

Tony Cooper 0121 559 2405 - The best mag man around !!!
freddie 136

Will not Start

Post by freddie 136 »

Thanks for the replys chaps, will have to leave it till next week now,going up to Whitby for the weekend,thanks again, Fred.
freddie 136

Will not Start

Post by freddie 136 »

Hello again, Took my Mag to FTW at Sheffield yesterday,They have been advertising in the Classic Bike Guide on the front page for more than 20 years.Watched them put it on the test rig and it was an intermittent spark from one pick up and a spark from the other.After striping the mag down the report is that it had been refurbished in the recent past as i had been told by the previous owner but not very good according to FTW,it needs to be rewound,new pick up's new pick up ring, condenser dickey, and new points wanted.Don't know who did the refurbish last time but i will let you know how it ends when i get the mag back in a couple of weeks,cheers Fred.
freddie 136

Will not Start

Post by freddie 136 »

Hello again, just a line to say i got my Mag back yesterday from FTW in Sheffield, fitted it and the bike started first kick so pleased with the result,so i am waiting now for the next problem to appear, cheers Fred.