Oil Leak

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
freddie 136

Oil Leak

Post by freddie 136 »

Hello, i have an oil leak on my G11 [1958] its where the Dynamo fits in to the back of the timing chest, i fitted a new seal when the bike engine was refurbed but since running it in and riding up to 50mph the leak persists.Tried putting gasket seal on but still leaks after the engine warm and have rode about 20 miles.Is this a normal type problem or is it possible that there is to much oil in the timing chest,all help appreciated,cheers Fred.
bjork

Oil Leak

Post by bjork »

Too much oil could be the problem, but I think it would be showing elsewhere too, such as inside the dynamo.
These usually seal fairly well with a new cork and especially with sealant. It does need to be snugged up to the crankcase well and truly square, so that cork is being lightly compressed all round. Sometimes the draw stud feels tight but something has stopped the dynamo moving across enough to seal. Are you sure it isn't the oil filter chamber? Hope not, much more work and plenty of people learn to live with that one till they really need to do some work.

Steve.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today